cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Broadband signal inconsistent - BT Home Hub or Orbi mesh + Openreach Huawei router

Sorry - a couple of questions in one post here.

My broadband is extremely variable which causes real problems in a WFH world. My speeds are fine one minute, then either upload of download speeds collapse the next (with no change in number of devices being used). I have a Cisco phone connected via ethernet which works one minute then doesn't the next. It seems almost as if the broadband signal is too weak. Then when I use the BT broadband troubleshooter, it never gets beyond 99% on the broadband check. I've done the quiet line test and it's fine. I've run the DSL checker and my speeds (currently) are fine. 

I have a BT Smart Hub which I always plug in when doing BT line tests as they don't play nicely with other routers. When I don't do tests, I prefer to use a Netgear Orbi mesh router plus an Openreach Huawei EchoLife modem (I was using a Draytek Vigor modem but it dropped connection every hour or so). as it has far better reach in my house than the Smart Hub. But also the Smart Hub seems at the margin a bit more stable. So I have to sacrifice reach for stability. 

My 2 questions therefore are why is my connection so variable, and even when speed tests show decent speed the "quality" of the signal in terms of its ability to support various activities (Netflix/virtual working/Cisco phone etc. ) is so poor? And does anyone have any views on why my Orbi mesh + Openreach modem might not be as stable as my BT Smart Hub?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Message 2 of 3

Re: Broadband signal inconsistent - BT Home Hub or Orbi mesh + Openreach Huawei router

Same issue here - broadband over the weekend was sitting at 13Mb and today it's around under 3Mb

Is the only way to raise a fault with this (I assume the exchange is being swamped) is to call up BT and wait for a long time online?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Broadband signal inconsistent - BT Home Hub or Orbi mesh + Openreach Huawei router

@michaelgfindlay 

Please start your own thread, as its very likely that your problem is totally different.

Thanks

0 Ratings