cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Broadband slow peak times

I have FTTC broadband, usual speeds of 39-45mbps Down about 6 Up, I was with Vodafone, getting 52 Down and around 8 Up, I left them because same time every day 18:00 to 23:30ish weekdays, and all day at the weekend I would get 3-4 Down, Up not affected, essentially completely unusable and their tech support is like asking primary school children to help and that's being generous.  I joined BT on the 22/01/21 and looked like problem solved, now 5 /6 weeks later problem is back, 18:00 Download speeds drop to 3-4, Upload speeds slightly slower. I know it is nothing in my house causing issue because its stable all day and drops same time every day, I have run all tests possible and nothing changes, the drop off seems too severe for network congestion. Any idea what could be causing it?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband slow peak times

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

can you run btspeedtester with an ethernet connection not wireless and post the results when download appears ok and again when download speed appears slow

https://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number but leave exchange and cabinet number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I can't upload the rest at the moment as I'm at work, I can tell you that I am unable to run a speed test when it's really slow via the BT site, as it is actually too slow to load the site, I can only run off of Speedtest.net, I have already raised this via customer services and have an engineer visiting, I can tell you in advance though that they won't find anything as they are visiting between 8 and 13 in the morning and the issues don't occur until around 1800 to 2000 ish and last until 2300 to 0000 in the evening, seeing as this has occurred over two different ISPs I would also think that it is not likely to be equipment related, issue will be in the cabinet. Have you got any idea what could cause this, is there anything that could of changed BTs end that has caused this issue to occur? It had been fine for the first 4 / 5 weeks I've been with BT. And to be clear the same as when I was with Vodafone this is happening exactly the same time every day, and no there is no heating / anything in my house that would interfere with it. 

Cabinet.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Also don't have a landline connected as its 2021 so am unable to do the quiet line test. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Regardless of whether its 2021 you do have a landline connected, just not a handset. A basic handset is an invaluable tool in diagnosing line faults.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Maybe for you, but I don't spend much time investigating landline faults unfortunately so have no need for one. I can say that my line has been tested for faults more times than the general public have been tested for Coronavirus and they all comeback clear. And yes to be pedantic, I'm aware I have a landline but I don't have a telephone connected to it. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

as you can't do the quiet line test which is the most basic test to rule out line noise probably just wait now until after the engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I don't have a clue about a lot of these things, but I would assume that noise on the line would be present all times of the day if there was a fault present, and I am getting my speeds slow down same time every day and it directly corelates to the peak times of usage. The issue also went clear for at least 28 days following switching from Vodafone to BT and has occurred again, despite nothing having been done to my physical line in that time.

I'm assuming network is getting seriously congested, I'm going to run some ping tests to see what that shows me this evening.  I would also guess that the engineer will replace the wall socket because its ancient, and it'll make no difference whatsoever, I hope it does, I work a lot (60+ hours a week), and the little time I get to watch tele or game, it'd be nice to be able to do so without having to worry about 3.2mbps download speeds hindering the process on a 46mbps package.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Had this same issue a while ago. Had to go through lots of hoops with BT and in the end I just emailed the CEO of Openreach and he got it sorted straight away (They monitored the cabinet DSLAM at peak times). Link to my thread below, it may help you. It was basically a capacity problem at the cabinet itself, so BT couldn't actually see any issues, as the packets were being dropped there, rather than at their exchange equipment. The cabinet is Openreach equipment. They added extra fibre links from the exchange to the cabinet and now there is zero slow down at peak times.

I will say though, I think the only reason Openreach went the extra mile was because I had already exhuasted all of BT's line checks / engineer visits etc. So really there was only one possibility but make sure you have done all the BT line checks and congestion checks first. If you want to go this route, I just Googled for the email of the CEO of Openreach. Or PM me and I will send you the email address for the manager that I was passed on to.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Peaktime-throughput-speeds-less-than-half-minimum-spe...

0 Ratings