I’ve had a problem with my BT Fibre 1 service which has required several months and 8 engineer visits and it’s still not quite right. I’m losing the will to live with phoning the BT fault reporting service so I’m hoping someone here can help me out.
The brief history is that in mid-April my hub started disconnecting a few times per day. BT checked the wiring in the house and pronounced that it was fine, which was as expected - there’s only about 3m of internal wiring to the master socket 5c and no extensions.
An Openreach engineer visited a few days later and said that my fibre port at the DSLAM was broken but, as there were no spare ports, I couldn’t be swapped onto a working port. He arranged for a DSLAM engineer to correct the problem. At this point, the hub was reporting downstream sync speeds of between 12 and 16Mbps and upstream always at 0.8Mbps.
About 1 month after the initial fault report and two weeks after the Openreach visit, nothing had improved so I called BT again. This time, Openreach found a fault in the cable that feeds the telegraph pole opposite my house. The cable fault was fixed in mid-May and the hub reported sync speeds of 34.999Mbps downstream and 0.8Mbps upstream.
I did some reading about how BT’s broadband works and decided that DLM or something similar was probably limited my speeds because of errors due to the faulty cable. I phoned the fault reporting number again to complain that my speeds weren’t back to normal and, after quite a bit of debate, another Openreach engineer was dispatched. He also said there was a fault in the DSLAM and that he’d have to book a specialist DSLAM engineer.
The following morning, 5 June, my hub’s light was purple and there was indeed an engineer working at the DLSAM. After a couple of hours, the hub light went blue again and I was very happy to see that the line had synchronised at 44.1Mbps downstream and 8Mbps upstream. This was the kind of speed I’d been used to before the problem started in April. It stayed like this for the rest of the day with no disconnections.
My joy was short-lived though. The next morning, 6 June, the line was back to 34.999Mbps downstream and 0.8Mbps upstream. I spoke to the person in BT who was handling my case and he spoke to his manager. They agreed it was probably DLM and, because the manager had access to the appropriate systems through a previous role, he initiated some kind of reset.
Over the next few weeks, my speeds increased gradually when DLM, or whatever, did its work overnight. By 30 June, I was at 39.998Mbps downstream and 5.998Mbps upstream. Since then, there’s been no improvement. There was a power-cut on 30 June which may not have helped the apparent error counts on my line but I was hoping the speeds might have continued there upward trajectory by now.
When the hub first connected at a normal speed on 5 June, following the DSLAM work, the hub reported:
8.002 Mbps / 44.108 Mbps
Maximum data rate:
8.264 Mbps / 45.042 Mbps
6.2 / 6.3
11.6 / 20.5
11.4 / 19.5
Yesterday, 24 July, it was reporting:
24 days,05 Hours37 Mins19 Secs
5.998 Mbps / 39.998 Mbps
Maximum data rate:
8.846 Mbps / 49.999 Mbps
7.6 / 6.0
11.5 / 20.6
11.4 / 19.5
It seems to me that the line is capable of running faster than the 6/40 down/up that I’m getting now, especially as it used to do so before this fault. It feels like something in the BT system is deliberately limiting my speed but doing so unnecessarily.
Is anyone able to suggest what I should do to get the speeds to increase back to their old normal?
I’ve got lots more data, including the hub logs going back to 30 April if it helps.
Solved! Go to Solution.
enter your phone number and post results remember delete number but leave exchange and cab
when line was fixed on 5/6 has the hub been dropping connection or have you been resetting in hope speed would improve and then hub has been stable since start of July. it now looks like you are in banded profile hence why speed appears fixed at 40mb
as it has been stable for 24 days I have asked mods to see if anything they can do to help they will post here but are busy so may take a few days
Hi @benmacdui welcome to the forum and sorry that your speeds have not returned to normal. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we'll be happy to help you with this. We are busy at the moment so it will take longer than normal to get back to you but we'll be in touch as soon as we can.
Thanks for your help with the mods.
No, I've not been resetting the hub and it's not been disconnecting EXCEPT that some nights in June, it disconnected and reconnected at a higher speed. I believe that was being initiated by DLM. BT told me to expect that to happen after I complained about being stuck at 0.8/35 and they made some changes.
The last reset and the last reconnection both occurred on 30 June because of a power cut in the local area.
Thanks to the mod team who requested a reset of my profile. Speed back up to normal now and has been for 2 days with no disconnections or errors.