cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: Broadband slower than surrounding houses

So how can we get this reset given that BT's sales website now indicates that we can only get Fibre 1 up to 50mpbs and I suspect if I ring them they are just going to quote their website?; this despite being on and getting Fibre 2 speeds until about six months ago.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 23

I suspect DLM has banded your line due to the earlier line problem. It can often take a very long time for banding to be released. BT won't be interested as your speed is very close to maximum in any case. To be perfectly honest, you won't notice the difference between 55M and 60M in the real world anyway. 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 23

Thanks. I am just concerned that given we used to be getting mid 60s actual download speeds and now we are seeing low 50s and the only option on the BT website now is to get Fibre 1 with a maximum of 50 that our speed here is getting slower and slower over time.

I was on Fibre 2 and they have recently moved me to Halo, I am paying now paying way over the odds against the basic Fibre 1/2 option for no benefit. But if i recontract, I am committing to a max 50Mbps (presumably with my line profiled to a maximum of what it is currently doing) with a guarantee of only 32Mbps whilst every other house around us (we live right in the centre of an housing estate) is guaranteed 62Mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 23

So I 've done a bit more digging. Firstly, I have found the terms that I signed up for back in 2017. I was moved from the original Infinity 38Mbps systems to Infinity 2 with an estimated 45-65Mbps download speed, with a guarantee of 40mbps.

I have also discovered that speedtest.net records your results and from that I have consistent records up to 22 December 2020 where download speed fluctuated between 62.9 and 67 and upload 10.4. Since the problem at the beginning of the year when it dipped to 3.28 (download) and 2.80 (upload) where a router reset brought it back to life, the fastest I am now ever seeing is ~52Mbps and 10.44Mbps. Clearly something has happened on our local network which resulted in the drop.

But worryingly, according to the BT website now our address is now only able to get up to 50Mbps with a guarantee of 30mbps. So rather than addressing faults, the approach seems to be lower the bar?? Is there anyone I can discuss this with in BT who can liaise with Openreach. The call centres haven't been any help as they just quote the current figures from the BT website. Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 23

Obviously crosstalk as more users have been added.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

But suddenly and with such a large drop? And this isn't like at the start of lockdown when suddenly everyone went to home working?

It couldn't have been affected by an independent company who is now running fibre through the Openreach ducts to provide some properties with FTTP, could it?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 23

No

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 23

Sorry licquorice. Do you mean no to my question about whether it could be affected by work done by the third party in the ducts or to an earlier comment?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 23

Also meant to ask licquorice, do you still think given the attainable speed is ~59 and the actual speed is ~55 (and according the BT diagnostics test that my ip profile is 53.17) that my profile has been capped?

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 23

Licquorice - sorry for the plethora of posts! I have just reviewed the stats page of my modem and it now states this:

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
Running Mode : 17A State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 54997000 bps US Actual Rate : 11116000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 66865340 bps US Attainable Rate : 11116000 bps
DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast
DS Interleave Depth : 1 US Interleave Depth : 1
NE Current Attenuation : 19 dB Cur SNR Margin : 7 dB
DS actual PSD : 7. 7 dB US actual PSD : 12. 5 dB
NE CRC Count : 0 FE CRC Count : 1998
NE ES Count : 0 FE ES Count : 1714
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 3
ITU Version[0] : 00000000 ITU Version[1] : 00000000
VDSL Firmware Version : 07-07-09-05-01-07 [with Vectoring support]
Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Test Mode : DISABLE
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 23 dB Far SNR Margin : 6 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : b5004244 CO ITU Version[1] : 434da4a1
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < BDCM >

It now claims the attainable rate is ~67 but is still firmly locked on 55 connection.

0 Ratings