Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Broadband slows to less than 10% of expected at peak times

Go to solution

Between 5.30pm and 11pm everyday we experience a significant drop in download speed, down to around 5Mbps. I have removed everything on the network one time and still experienced the drop in speed. The below chart is the past 10 days of download speeds, I use a home server to run these tests every 1 hour.

The exchange should be Guildford (THGI)

I believe this to be a congestion issue as when the engineer came to install they said the cabinet was so oversubscribed they had to use thinner cables.

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 08.57.12.png

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Broadband slows to less than 10% of expected at peak times

Go to solution

can you post stats from your router please

which cab are you on ?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 09.16.15.png

Currently using a TP-LINK router because of DHCP issues with the BT Home Hub 6... I don't believe I have seen much different in these values when the slowdown happens. From looking at https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/ it shows cabinet P132

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

are you using ethernet or wifi when you get the problem with your download speed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

The home server that I run periodic speed tests on is connected via ethernet. Issues is experienced the same through ethernet and wifi. I have even ran speedtests during these slowdown times with nothing else connected.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

I think the engineer was pulling your leg as it's impossible for a cab to become oversubscribed. If thinner cable is being used then it is a cost issue due to the price of copper ATM.

0 Ratings
rshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Don't remember her exact words, but definitely mentioned thin cables and very little room. Speed dropped as expected see below. 200ms ping(?!) and 4.3Mbps down, I'm meant to be getting near to 70!

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 21.39.15.png7694218867

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

i have asked mods to check your exchange and can for problems   They will post here

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
Thinner Cables. 🤔

I think what the Engineers trying to say is the cabinet itself is ‘congested’ with to many tie pairs. Openreach do sometimes squeeze to much in them, especially when you have one PCP fed by more than one DSLAM.

The cables they use as standard now is 0.4mm for E-Side (Cable from the Exchange to the Cab) and 0.5mm for D-Side (Cab to the box on top of the Pole) Cables.

The VDSL Tie Pairs from the DSLAM to the Cab have always been 0.5mm Copper.

As you said yourself it’s blatantly obvious that it’s Congestion on the Back Haul Network.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @rshaw sorry that you are experiencing slow speeds in the evenings. 

I've checked and there is congestion on your svlan but this is due to be resolved over the weekend. Please check and if it is not resolved by Monday evening post back and let us know and we will chase this up for you.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings