cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kuzey101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: Broadband speed after recontracting - difficulty getting resolution

Can anyone assist with the Bridge Tap question?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Kuzey101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 17

Still looking for some advice on the Bridge Tap - where is that likely to be? Why would it be there? Anyone?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

@Kuzey101 this is the best explanation of a bridge tap that I can find.  How is the connection performing at the moment?

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Kuzey101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 17

Hi there and thanks for the info on Bridge Tap - very complicated at first read but seems to boil down to the fact that someone has left a wire dangling somewhere that is connected to my line which might have once been used to connect someone else and that wire is impacting the line. Obvious question perhaps but why hasn't it been removed?

As far as speeds are concerned this morning is a good example of the variances I get:

BT troubleshooter/diagnostics says I am getting 48.3 to the Hub (and won't produce the the hub to device figure)

Couple of minutes later, speed test on Bing gives 52.6 down/17.8 up

Couple of minutes after that another Ookla speed test gives 58 down 12.61 up

Helpdesk info from hub says:

5. DSL uptime:5 days, 02:47:02
6. Data rate:14994 / 59926
7. Maximum data rate:15032 / 65359
8. Noise margin:6.0 / 7.1
9. Line attenuation:14.3 / 12.8
10. Signal attenuation:14.6 / 13.3

So the short answer is I don't really know what to say about the connection becauase the various speed test results seem to contradict each other (and why does the noise margin keep fluctuating?)

On occasion the BT speed test has reported 42ish download to hub but nothing has obviously changed to suddenly impact the speed.

Thanks for the interest. 

0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 17

Noise margins, and maximum data rates do vary during the day which means your speed tests will.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 17

btspeedtester has been giving 'odd' results so I would use speedtest.net until btspeedtster is fixed  your download speed will vary but your connection speed according to stats has been steady for 5 days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Joanneh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 17

seems to be the same modus operandi with recontracting people , i just recontracted , despite all the test showing i can get 80mb max ( i just had 3 years of stable 76mb from plusnet with same unlimited superfast fibre 2 )  they have set my profile to 55  and with that come the same speed variation that you have between 17 and 50, but most of the time i'm under the " 50 minimum garantee" or the " average 67 promise from the sale person that convinced me to recontract" .

test1.jpgtest2.jpg

0 Ratings