Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
domcotton
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Broadband speed differences

Hi,

I recently had an issue with my connection where i was quoted as being able to receive a minimum speed of 55mb however all checks were returning a consistent 49mb.  I was getting a lot of interruption to my services.

I called BT and after a very long call managed to get an engineer appointment (due for tomorrow).  However today I was called by BT saying they had found an issue (after saying there were none) and they had cancelled my call.  I was at work so couldn't check anything out. 

Once I returned home I checked the wholesale BT speed test site and the first returned score was 333mb!  Of course if this stays consistent I will be very satisfied however all other speed tests i have performed are returning ~53mb.  The frustration is if there is a problem still I have lost my appointment.  I have run all tests multiple times and have had results from the wholesale speed checker from 120mb - 365mb!

Can anybody explain to me how these numbers are so wildly different?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband speed differences

Because the BT speedchecker is broken.  I suspect a line fault has been fixed which has given you an improvement in speed. Can you post your line stats from the hub please. Quoted speeds are connection speeds not download speeds.

0 Ratings
domcotton
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Data rate:

17.39 Mbps / 64.66 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

17398 / 66757

Noise margin:

6.4 dB / 3.6 dB

Line attenuation:

16.6 dB

0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 4 of 10

Your are connected at 65Mbps, 10 over the guaranteed speed. What your are talking about is throughput speed which is not guaranteed because numerous factors effect the throughput, I would think BT will not see any problem with your connection.

domcotton
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Hi,

Thanks however please note my original question.  Why are the numbers so vastly different?

Up until yesterday all speed tests (wholesale and commercially available) were reporting a consistent, very similar ~49mb.  Since they "fixed something" the wholesale number is so much higher.  Also the hub reporting 65mb versus the commercial tests (~52-55mb) and then the wholesale (~120-350mb).  It's just so confusing!

I want to understand why the difference exists, and in my simple understanding if the wholesale site suggests the line can push more data why am I constrained?

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

the btspeedtester is giving incorrect results your conenction cannot handle 333mb on FTTC

run speedtest.net and see what speeds you get with wired conenction

there are numerous posts about the 'odd' results given when using btspeedtester - just use search facility

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@domcotton wrote:

Hi,

Thanks however please note my original question.  Why are the numbers so vastly different?

Up until yesterday all speed tests (wholesale and commercially available) were reporting a consistent, very similar ~49mb.  Since they "fixed something" the wholesale number is so much higher.  Also the hub reporting 65mb versus the commercial tests (~52-55mb) and then the wholesale (~120-350mb).  It's just so confusing!

I want to understand why the difference exists, and in my simple understanding if the wholesale site suggests the line can push more data why am I constrained?

Thanks

As stated in message 2, the BT wholesale tester is broken. The speeds quoted are impossible with standard FTTC. You are getting the fastest speed your line can support.

domcotton
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Hi,

I am still not fully understanding.  I am on day 3 after the "fix" has been completed, and am still getting ~240mb from the wholesale bt speed tester.  Why is this so wrong?  You say it's broken but for this website to break coinciding with BT "fixing" something upstream seems like I could win the lottery easier.

https://support.speedtest.net/hc/en-us/articles/203845400-How-does-the-test-itself-work-How-is-the-r...

Reading this suggests a simple to understand method of calculating speed - so I am assuming the wholesale speed tester doesn't do this - what does it do? 

I would love to get a response from a techincal BT representative.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

I think it's more of a coincidence that you've started using the speed tester, after the fault was fixed. The speed tester has been broken for quite a while, and affects a lot of users.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

The BT speed tester is broken, this has been widely reported on the forum.

If you really want to know the download speed just find a very large file to download somewhere and see how long it takes to download, Firefox will report the time it takes and the speed.

Your connection speed is fine.