cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veisenberg
Message 1 of 4

Broadband speed erratic.

Hi. We've just moved over to BT (ultrafast fibre plus) from Sky and whilst the speed is a bit faster it's not reaching the guaranteed 100Mbps. In fact the speed is quite erratic.

I can do a speed test that'll come back with 89Mbps down and then do another literally a few seconds after and that will come back at 94 then another will be 97, then 86. I was told that our line is capable of 125Mbps which I was happy with but I've not had that at all yet. A few time the speed has clipped over 100 but that's a rarity. The upload seems quite stable though, always getting around 24-26 with that.

Just wondering what it could be?

We have BT TV too and thought that might be why the speed is erratic so I pulled the ethernet from the back of the TV box and tried again but got the same outcome.

Any help would be great. Thank you 🙂

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Broadband speed erratic.

from your post it is the download speed on your devices that is below 100mb but that is not the guarantee

How do I test my speed for the ultrafast speed guarantee?

The speed guarantee refers to the speed from the BT network to your BT Ultrafast Smart Hub. It doesn't cover the speed you receive from the hub to devices in your home.  To reliably test your speed, you must be using your BT Ultrafast Smart Hub and log in to My BT to use our broadband speed test

are you using an ethernet connection when checking your download speed

is the down connection speed to your hub above the 100mb guarantee?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Veisenberg
Message 3 of 4

Okay, So I just did a full speed test following the BT troubleshooter and from the BT/exchange to my hub saw a result of 99Mbps

I'm connected via cat6a.

No the guaranteed speed isn't being reached..

0 Ratings
Veisenberg
Message 4 of 4

Update*
Spoke to BT. An engineer has been booked to come and fix the speed as it's not meeting the guarantee.
0 Ratings