Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Broadband speed not as promised

Anyone got any advice what to do next?

I signed up with BT august the 2nd, 2017 with a promised speed of between 21 and 29 mb. After more than the 10 day period, I only managed 16mb on my smarthub 6 router. I contacted bt and an engineer had to come out, he confirmed that the maximum on my line would be 21mb. But I suspect to get this, he reset the ports in the cabinet before the visit, as within hours, the speed dropped back to 16 mb. Since then I have had 3 more engineers visits who have all confirmed the same maximum speed, 21mb.I have spoken to BT customer options team, but as my speed is more or less restored after each engineers visit o the minimum my contract stated, my options are limited.  After the last visit, I connected a third party router, Netgear D6400 and the speed bounced up to 22.8mb. I had this weekend away, so never used my broadband and when I came back the speed on the Netgear router had also dropped, but only to 19.8mb. So I thought I would try my smart hub 6 again, sure enough it has synched at 16mb and that's it. I'll give it a few days to settle down but I don't expect any improvements. The problem I have is if I complain, the only option to rectify my slow connection speed is to order an engineer, which would be number 5, who then gets the speed back up to the promised minimum. But after 4 visits already, I cannot keep doing this as I can't afford any more time off work!

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 23

Re: Broadband speed not as promised

Please post your Home Hub router stats
Learn how from here Broadband Top Tips

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 4 Hours 5 Minutes 39 Seconds

Data rate:

3.96 Mbps / 16.58 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

4058 / 18794

Noise margin:

6.3 dB / 5.2 dB

Line attenuation:

29 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

72 MB Uploaded / 515 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-9792

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-9792

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

F4:6B:EF:28:1A:6B

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 23

It doesn't seem much out from what it is capable of. It is a fairly long line for Fibre.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

I'd put the netgear on and leave it for a few weeks.

As you're on a new cabinet, it's like Huawei.

If DLM thinks your line needs G.INP, then that should bump the speed up a few meg more. If the line is stable with G.INP, then DLM may well reduce your target noise margin, increasing your speed again.

My speed went from 61meg sync to 77meg sync with G.INP and a 3dB target margin.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Thanks for the replays, I'll post the wholesale stats later today, I am a kilometre from the cabinet. I think I'll end up putting the netgear back on but I'll try to improve the btone first.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

The Netgear will have a broadcom chipset that will work better with the Huawei cabinets, as well as perform better on longer lines than the home hub will. I'd go with the Netgear.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Thanks, I agree, its very obvious that the Netgear is a better solution for me, as soon as its connected up, there's an increase of 2 to 3 mb. I bought the Netgear because I was with TalkTalk and I had 3 of their routers that would not work at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

Leave it alone for a few weeks as I explained above and see what DLM does for you.
Highlighted
Sage
Message 10 of 23

@west1944 wrote:

Thanks for the replays, I'll post the wholesale stats later today, I am a kilometre from the cabinet. I think I'll end up putting the netgear back on but I'll try to improve the btone first.

How do you expect to improve a pile of poop?

Stick with the Netgear.

0 Ratings