cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helloandrew
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Broadband speed on a downward trend

Hi anyone with any experience in successfully and joyfully resolving a downward trend in broadband speed?

I've been speed testing every day and tracking performance. The pattern is periods of stability then a drop followed by another period of stability at a lower speed, etc, etc. In summary here's the average speeds since January:

19 Jan - 28 Jan 33Mbps

29 Jan - 16 Feb 29.2 Mbps

17 Feb - 28 Feb 26.8 Mbps

1 Mar - 19 Mar 24.3 Mbps

20 Mar 22.1 Mbps
measured download speed.JPG

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband speed on a downward trend

Can you post stats from your router please
Try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Helloandrew
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

No noise on line test.

Router status...

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

are the speeds in your original post connection speeds or download speeds?

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps with stability and therefore improves conenction speed  at present it appears your drops in connection are increasing the noise margin above normal 6db resulting in the speed reducing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Helloandrew
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hello imjolly
Thank you for the reply - any expert advice is most welcome! Let me see if I can answer your questions...

1) The speeds are 'download' speeds I believe. I have been using speedtest.net. I've been consistent in using the same test over time so I guess the downward trend remains a real thing.

2) Test socket with filter: I've attached a pic of the BT masterplate.  I think this latest master socket plate includes a filter negating the need for microfilters. Is there another thing to try? If my speed is reducing over time due to noise margin then what can reduce the noise margin? How can the speed be returned to it's higher better performing starting position?IMG_0698.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

that is the newest master socket and of course is filtered.  however that does not stop your internal wiring causing interference with your broadband hence why using the test socket with a filter eliminates your internal wiring from being cause of low speed.  it also helps if engineer visit as you have eliminated internal wiring and unlikely to be charged callout fee of £130

the test socket is visible when you unclip the front of the new master - no screws to take out

0 Ratings
Helloandrew
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

So the test is unclip the front plate and plug into the test socket with a microfilter - sounds like a good plan.

What should I look for to confirm a positive (or negative) result?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

You would need to leave in sockets for a time and see if helps stability which in turn is the start to improve noise margin and speed

you should also check that there no dial tone at any extension socket whether in use or not 

0 Ratings