cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Broadband speed v cabinet capability

Hi

I am on a Fibre 1 package (estimated download speed 47 - 71Mb). There is fibre to the local cabinet and then copper to my house. The cabinet (2 years old) is capable of handling download speeds of up to 80Mb. My maximum data rate, as per the BT Hub Manager, is set around 54Mb. I have noticed that the 'DSL Uptime' is never very long (between 0 - 6 days, or so). 

I understand that every property is unique but my neighbour, connected to the same cabinet but with (I assume) a different piece of copper, shows a Maximum Date Rate of 80Mb (consistent with what we were told the new cabinet could handle).

So, could anyone please take at look at these stats and tell me whether they think there may be issues which I can get BT to address (the broadband performance in my house is quite inconsistent and rarely much above 40Mb download. I think(!) I was told that there is something BT can do to re-set the Maximum Data Rate (esp. after a package change) ...although I could never find anybody there to help me with that....

Many thanks for any thoughts.

ingvorp_0-1612192386934.png

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Broadband speed v cabinet capability

from your stats you have a 53mb connection speed with an attainable of 54mb and with noise margin down at 3db (normal 6db) you are already receiving a speed boost from activation of G.INP

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

have you tried using test socket with filter to see if that improves you connection speed by eliminating master faceplate and internal wiring 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

All FTTC can deliver 80Mb, wether any individual line gets that depends on the customer paying for that product ( 40/55/80 are available) and the individual line being capable of delivering it.....in the most basic terms the further away from the cab the slower the speed.........,someone 80m away will likely get full speed ( 80Mb ) if that’s what they are paying for, someone 600m away won’t , they likely would get 30-40Mb, so , in their case , arguably not worth paying for the higher band product.

You have already been asked to provide the estimate of what your line is capable of, if it’s already getting close to that estimate then that’s as good as it gets, if it’s slower , then further investigation may be required, a neighbour getting better speed doesn’t necessarily indicate a problem as their cable route to the cabinet may not be the same as yours..but  if both you and you neighbour are all served from the same point ( for example the same telegraph pole) it may indicate a problem , but you need to show what speed your neighbour actually gets....until you post the DSL checker report, it’s impossible to know.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Table of FTTC speed against distance from the street cabinet
Distance from the street cabinet (km)FTTC fibre broadband connection speed (Mbps)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Forgive me for stating the obvious - your opening post states you enjoy Fibre 1. In that case, you are already receiving slightly above the maximum speed for that particular offering,

It is Fibre 2 that offers up to 80mbs download but I doubt anyone actually receives that. We achieve around 74/76 and we are about 100 meters from the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

@Carlusha 

I am also about 100m from cabinet and have a 80/20mb connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 22

Thanks very much for all your replies.... My broadband checker results are as follows (hope it's legible). 

ingvorp_0-1612208547146.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

@imjollywrote:

I am also about 100m from cabinet and have a 80/20mb connection

Sorry, I forgot to mention, my results were based on wifi / smart hub 2. Hub is too far from TVs and computers to worry about ethernet connections.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

@Carlusha  The your results are meaningless in terms of your comment.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

@ingvorp 

Which master socket do you have

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

0 Ratings