Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

Broadband speed varies a lot.

Go to solution

Infinity 1 (unlimited)

My "expected speed" was given as 51mb down & it has been broadly around that on our (new build) estate  for around 18 months or so until the last few weeks.

Tested this morning @ 1100 ...d/load speed 49.5mb....good 🙂

Tested again @1244 ......d/load speed 6mb......not good  😞

Yesterday evening it was around 20mb when I checked ( 2300)

Speed varies with load of course but the recent results are discouraging to say the least as it seems that the speed  now drops way down when people actually use the same feed as me

BT say they have no faults reported on the line & the speed check is described as  "as expected" with their "snapshot" speed reported as 53mb 8 days ago.

Activity in the street cab & surrounding two cabs seems higher than normal but not exceptional

This has only become noticeable in the last month or so to the extent of motivating me to run speed checks

Is there any way of improving the "average" speed here or do we just have to "grin & bear it" 

Ideas/thoughts please

D*ck

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Broadband speed varies a lot.

Go to solution

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having a problem your broadband speeds, could you please private message me your phone landline number so I can take a look at it for you. Thanks

Jack

BT TV expertJack
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

can you post stats from your hub  if hh6 advanced settings then technical log information

can you run btspeedtester and when firsdt test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  please run when download speed appears ok and again when poor  http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

enter your phone number and post results  delete number but leave exchange and cab  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

heres the Checker page

down speed 15mb.......up speed 9mb ....tested @ 1610

Test 1.jpgtest 1

I use a TP-Link router,  the BT one is buried in the shed & the line is quiet

I know it's a standard request & I don't mind posting this but I'm not sure if this will be relevant as the problem seems to be "load dependant" or perhaps I'm on the wrong end of the stick in the cab ?

Cheers

D*ck

0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
I use mains wired ethernet lan by the way using BT branded extenders
D.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

you need to run the diagnostic test and post results  using Tplink is ok  but needs to be connected with ethernet cable not via powerline connectors  there are previous posts where powerlibe adapters caused problems with download speed   I think they were tplink adapters

not sure what you mean by 'I'm on the wrong end of the stick in the cab ?'

trying to see if without the adapters there is still a problem with congestion

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
"the wrong end of the stick" is my slang for the connection method used in the street cabs, the closer you are to the entry signal the better performance. I would need a seriously long cable (12m or so) to run without adaptors or wifi due to the setup I have.
I can dig out a wifi usb adaptor & try that to see if there is any improvement. Do you know if there is any protocol for "throttling" download speeds at busy times ?

Cheers

D*ck
0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Right

The wifi usb adaptor was to hand so I fitted it & speeds are back to normal !

Now I think of it I had bought a set of 2 from BT to use with the TV.

I then bought another pair from fleabay (cheaply) & 1 of those was feeding my pc and is too warm to the touch (warmer than it should be) so is obviously faulty in some way.  I'll pull it apart tomorrow & have a look at whats going on inside the thing. 

Initial thoughts are some sort of bandwidth restriction through the adaptor as it heats through use which could explain working normally when "cold"

Thank you ImJolly  Smiley Happy

I'll post up as solved

Cheers

D*ck

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

You cannot have two different sets of powerline adapters connected to the home hub as they will interfere with each other, and you could end up with an Ethernet loop.

You could get an additional one like the ones you use for the TV, and pair it with the existing BT ones.

There is an explanation on this page

Important - Using powerline adapters or broadband extenders

It would be best not to use those other ones you bought.

0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
That's what I did, the second pair I bought were same make & model using the one connected to the router as "master"
https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-600-kit-084284-BVFL.html
These do have mixed reviews but did work well together for over a year before one of the fleabay pair I bought & used for the pc started acting up

0 Ratings