cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Broadband speed vastly different to Neighbours

I'm in a bit of a hole and hoping someone can provide some suggestions on what to do.

Our broadband has never been great, 10mb down and 1mb up was about as good as it got but lock down and work from home took things to a new low level, especially the upload.  I was with plusnet but at the end of the day it wouldn't matter who I was with,  Running on FTTC. So according to openreach this is the best I can get and there are no faults even though my devices were dropping all the time.  This went on for months of escalation.   In the end I gave up and got mobile broadband (the actual advice of the 4th engineer who came out.  

What I have since found out is that in our close of 8 houses, 5 of them get 40mb/10mb guaranteed, and the other 3 including me an offering from 2006.  Now this makes zero sense as I know for 100% sure that we are all hooked up to the same (and nearest) cabinet, 0.2 miles away (engineer checked and confirmed).  So how can our speeds be so much less, there is 20-30 metres between us.  I assume there is either a fault where it branches off to us, I can see the underground points.  Or Openreach are intentionally throttling some houses.  

The problem is I now don't even have a phone line and with no current broadband provider I don't have a platform to escalate.  Any suggestions how I can have some investigation.  I would much rather be back on a wired connection as 4g whilst good most of the time, it is not cheap and can be patchy.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband speed vastly different to Neighbours

as you do not have a phone connection you can try your address, preferably not just post code, and see what options are available to you  you can also try neighbours to check you are actually on same cabinet

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

It's not so much finding a new deal, there is no point me signing up with this dreadful speed. the issue is openreach are giving me much less than the rest of my neighborhood. I also know with abolute certainty that the cabinets on my neighbours with good speed are the same as mine and their broadband speed test matches what is being stated on any property check.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

using the checker will show what connection estimated speed for your address.  it will also show cabinet  you wouldn't be first to assume on same cabinet as neighbour and may not be which would explain difference in speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I am on the same cabinet.  I have checked with an openreach engineer and looked it up to double check.  aware of the speed differences between houses.  60 mbps guaranteed them.  7 mbps us and I have spoken to them to verify.  Only thing different is where we branch off.  

Sorry, I'm not looking for info on verifying the speed difference.  My question is how can I escalate this when I no longer have an active phone line (as I turned it off after 6 months of stress at not being able to work at home effectively due to a constantly dropping service and no upload speed, made even worse on a VPN).  This was on the advice of a called out open reach engineer who didn't want to listen to what I was showing regarding my neighbours speeds.  I must be able to get Openreach to see there is a fundamental infrastructure issue here.  I don't want to commit to another bb service providor only to get exactly the same rubbish, unusable speed and angry because I know people on the same cabinet 20 metres from my house are getting a good service for the same price.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I think you'll have your work cut out trying to complain about a service that you no longer have, you'll probably be better off just biting your lip and starting from scratch but of course you will want to take precautions against going down that same road again.

Enter your details either in the link already provided by @imjolly  or at Broadband | Home Broadband & Line Rental | BT and see what your options are and then decide what to do

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

as you are not a BT customer there is very little this BT community forum can do to help especially as you will not post any information about your line using your address on dslchecker

0 Ratings