cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jaypeegolf
Beginner
Message 1 of 39

Broadband speed very different depending on test site?

When I test my broadband speed using Speedtest.net I get figures around 14/15mb download. If I use the BT Speed Test I get 57mb (surprise!) Where does this huge discrepancy come from? I'm thinking that BT measure signal to the hub whilst Speedtest measures the WiFi speed? Is this correct? Thanks for any help JP

PS: I have BT Broadband Superfast 1 package

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 39

Re: Broadband speed very different depending on test site?

The discrepancy is due to you using a wireless connection. To get a true figure use wired connection for speed tests.

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Contributor
Message 3 of 39

Many speedtest.net servers are overloaded. Try to change the server you are using to test your speed. What I also would like to suggest to use the https://speedof.me/ website to test your "true" speed. It's a HTML5 internet speedtest that doesn't require flash or java. So nothing is there to slow you down and will give you a more accurate result. For instance on speedtest.net I get 58-59Mbps, but on the speedof.me website I get 62-63Mbps. When the BT engineer was here couple of weeks ago to fix my line, that was the speed he was getting too through his testing equipment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 39

Doesn't matter which speed test site is used. You will not get a true result with a wireless connection.

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Contributor
Message 5 of 39

If you're sitting next to the hub that works and performs well it shouldn't be a problem you're using wireless. (Obviously I'm talking about you have full signal and you're next to the hub) If something is wrong with the hub or the antennas then it will affect the speed you get yes. Today's routers are more than capable to handle the speed you get with FTTC. I for example get the full speed wired as well as wireless. What I'm saying you can check other speed test sites as well to see if that make any difference. Then you can start troubleshooting from the wired/wireless point of view etc...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 39

I prefer to save time and do troubleshooting by logical progression. Others prefer to waste their time messing about beforehand.

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Contributor
Message 7 of 39

I don't think it's a waste of time... So what if you connect your PC with a cable to the router and gives you bad speed, you report there's an issue, something is wrong. And at the and it turns out something was wrong with your pc and something slowed it down and meanwhile your phone that was connected wirelessly performed perfectly well, but you never checked that, because everybody's saying wireless is not reliable... You have to check all the possibilities before report something otherwise you're the one who's wasting other people's time. 😉
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 39

I wouldn't report an issue until I'd checked the router stats and sync speed and carried out basic diagnostics. I get paid to know what I'm doing when troubleshooting a connection problem.

Before you ask,  no,  I don't work for an ISP.

0 Ratings
jaypeegolf
Beginner
Message 9 of 39

I think this is my question, am I comparing apples with apples. I've never got close to 57mb using Speedtest connecting over wifi. How can I measure my broadband speed using the same parameters as BT by way of a comparison. If only they can measure it's not really a fair playing field?
0 Ratings
matekaneve
Contributor
Message 10 of 39

Router stats and sync speed don't necessarily mean you will get an appropriate speed. Your modem can sync with 76Mbps but your actual download speed is 5Mbps on a wired connection on your pc just because something is wrong with it. I honestly not saying you don't know what your doing I'm pretty sure you actually know more then me, what I'm saying is when troubleshooting an issue you have to go through all the steps. Including wireless tests. 😉👍
0 Ratings