cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Broadband speed

Internet connection was recently (6 days ago) lost for a few minutes, when it came back the speed had dropped from 45 Mbps to 29 Mbps. The quoted guaranteed speed had reduced from 30 to 25. I’ve checked the speed every day since, 29Mbps download, 14 Mbps upload. A similar incident earlier this year, speed was 55 to 60 Mbps, after the outage it dropped to 45 Mbps. Has anyone any ideas on how this could happen - I  use a Bt Smart hub 2, have done for over a year. I’m not technically minded but could the speed have been deliberately slowed? I take out BT Sport occasionally and I’m concerned that  BT Sport Ultimate needs over 40 Mbps. Any suggestions welcome.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband speed

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser)  HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

your speed would not be deliberately slowed unless DLM thought there were line problems where noise margin would be increased and speed reduced to stabilise your line

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Thanks @imjolly  for the fast reply.

Dialled17070, no noise.

Not sure how to include the stats in a reply - have you any tips ? I’ve followed the instructions and have seen the stats but I’ve no idea how to get them into a reply.

Many  thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

just use the camera icon

how to upload photo.PNG

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

If you have screenshots of the stats then use the camera button.

2021-09-03 14_42_45-Reply to Message - BT Community — Mozilla Firefox.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Thanks @imjolly , @pippincp . Stats attached.

saved_bt_3.pngScreenshot 2021-09-03 at 14.54.00.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

i looks like you have been experiencing internet drop outs and this has resulted in DLM putting your connection into a banded profile to try and stabilise your connection  this should release automatically but can take a few weeks provided connection remains stable

from dslchecker you can get FTTP with connection package of up to 900mb!

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Thanks @imjolly .

Having read the DLM description I’m not sure that’s what happened. Internet dropped and was back within a few minutes with lower speed. Looking at DLM it implies that works on a 24 hour cycle so the drop in speed wasn’t down to DLM action. In the 18 months I’ve had BT broadband the speed has dropped from 55+ Mbps to 29 - same router. I’ll report it as a fault and see what happens. 
Thanks  for your help.

0 Ratings