cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Broadband speeds at 500mb

Have got the 500mb future fibre installed on Monday this week.

Speed tests throughout week are showing only 40mb/s speeds. When I rang BT up they did a speed test at their end and were getting speeds of 400mb/s.

Latency seems average.

Does anyone have any advice on increasing speed and latency?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Broadband speeds at 500mb

Have you tried a speed test when connected via ethernet? Also remember the speed guarantee isn't to the device it's to the hub

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Because in your post you quote 500mb , instead of 500Mb , is it possible you being confused by the difference between mb, Mb, and MB ?

If your speed tester is giving the results in MB , its around an 8th of the speed in Mb , 40MB for example,  is 320Mb , still a little low for a 500Mb service .

What are you using to measure, it needs to be a wired device, and all other devices removed incase they are using bandwidth at the same time .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

I am meant to be on 500Mbps

When I am downloading it is showing as 4.8MB/s

are these different?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

what speeds do you get if you run btspeedtester with ethernet connection

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

or try Fast.com

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 16

MB ( both capitals ) is megabyte , Mb is megabit , there are 8 bits to a byte , so 1MB is around 8Mb.
Some  speed tests or download graphics , like Steam (AFAIK) , show downloads in MB , that can leave users thinking their download is slow by a factor of 8 , when it isn’t , having said that 4.8MB is only 38Mb. so that obviously seems wrong.

It’s possible your  service has been mis provided, in other words you have been provided with the wrong speed profile ( 40Mb instead of 500Mb ) but as you appeared not to appreciate the difference between MB and Mb it’s worth checking what’s being reported ,  incase it’s as simple as MB or Mb .

As stated, use a few speed testers , using a wired device capable of using 500Mb and post the results, often users stating the expected performance is not being achieved, it’s because their equipment isn’t capable of using those speeds , or the tests are over Wifi

Message 7 of 16

I got 43.59Mbps download speed when doing wifi speed test.

Should I plug the yellow ethernet cable in and try then?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

you need to run the test using an ethernet (cable) connection not wireless

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 16

Did it with the yellow ethernet cable plugged into my laptop. Speed test came back at 500.

How can I improve ping speed?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

@Gamer98 The ping is mostly effected by how far away you are from the server you are connected to. So in gaming, try to connect to the nearest server to your location for the lowest ping.

0 Ratings