Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmyV
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Broadband speeds lower than guaranteed!

Hello,

Over the last week, my broadband speed has dropped to lower than previously, and has now fallen below the minimum guaranteed speed.

I have BT Infinity 2, and should receive between 67-79Mbps download, with a minimum guaranteed speed of 59Mbps.

This week, I have been receiving speeds of between 43-50Mbps, which has resulted in disconnections if my partner and I are both gaming at the same time. Disconnections did not occur when we were receiving speeds of 67Mbps.

Here are the results for the DSL checker, my router stats, and BT Wholesale.dsl speed.PNGpart1.PNGpart2.PNGbt wholesale further.PNG

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
AmyV
Beginner
Message 2 of 14

Re: Broadband speeds lower than guaranteed!

Here is also confirmation of what I should receivemin speed.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

The guaranteed speed refers to sync (connection) speed not download speed and you are currently syncing at 73M as can be seen from your hub stats. The problem with throughput will be due to congestion in the BTWholesale backhaul network which they should be aware of and taking steps to alleviate.

0 Ratings
AmyV
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Ah, I see. Thank you for your reply.
What would you recommend if I continue to receive slower than normal speeds?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Depending on what is required, it could take some time to resolve. If you are still experiencing the slowdown after a few days, post back here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

did you run btspeedtester with ethernet conenction not wireless - only ethernet test is acceptable as wifi can vary depending on home conditions

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AmyV
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

I ran it with an ethernet connection, my computer currently doesn't have WiFi as the adapter is broke.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Hi @AmyV Sorry you are experiencing slow speeds at times.

We will be happy to check if this is congestion for you if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
AmyV
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Update!

Had a BT Openreach engineer visit today who was very helpful.
He said my property has consistently had a high sync speed, but when he did a speed test in the property, the WiFi download speed was a lot slower than it should be.

Testing an ethernet connection, we were receiving download speeds of around 67Mbps, which is what I was used to getting over WiFi as well.

Doing a WiFi speed test resulted in speeds of around 30Mbps.

The engineer concluded that it must be a fault with the router which was resulting in slow WiFi throughput speeds.
So I guess I need a new router!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

I'm confused, in message 7 you said the problem was with Ethernet.

If it is a wifi problem, split the 2 wifi bands and select a different channel manually to see if that improves the speed.

0 Ratings