cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Broadband speeds

Hi

Recently I noticed my Broadband speed was very slow. I tried a few speed checkers and my download speed was around 5-10mbps. I tried a number of things none of which helped. I then arranged for an engineer to fix the problem.  He came and yes it was fixed and the speed increased to over 45mbps - it stayed around this speed for a few weeks. That was last month. Now my speed is at 9mbps again.  What could be causing this?

The engineer mentioned something to do with unrelated works outside of the property which could have caused the broadband speed to drop but why should it go down again in the space of a month. I am on Fibre with BT Halo 1.

I don't want to keep getting engineers out only for the speed to go back down again.

Thanks 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband speeds

@dominique12345 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

If you do not get dial tone, then that would indicate a disconnection on your line, and you would need to report it to BT, as a phone fault. A noisy or disconnected line will cause a loss of broadband speed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I'm having a similar issue and although I'm on a fresh upgrade, Ive tried the quiet test on my phone as the engineer yesterday made a point how the cabinet to house installer didn't do something with the phone line. Well me personally can hear quite a bit of noise from inbetween speaking (static crackling), not massively loud but there. Could this have something to do with my stay fast guarantee of 450mbps actually being 28mbps on average? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

No I am not having any issues with the phone line. It’s strange because the engineer said it was down to external works whereby something needed to be reset. I didn’t really understand. It only took him about 10 minutes to reset.

Would anyone know what this would be? Because there are always external works so this could keep happening.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@StainlessnielNoise on the line will cause issues, reopert a noisy line.

@dominique12345The engineer should have resolved whatever the problem was, if he just reset DLM then it is going to limit your line again. Get an engineer back out.

Message 6 of 6

I've just spent an hour on the phone to faults and as I'm fttp the noisey line doesn't make a difference to my broadband only if I was still on fttc.

Anyway the ping from the exchange to my open reach box is is 900mbps and upload is down at 50 mbps, but my devices on pretty much all the main speed testers are coming back with 60 mbps down at best and nearly the same on upload.

Engineer is on way tomorrow as 24hrs old or not I should be getting 450mbps at the very least on the worst devices.

Plus, not too happy they send me cat 5e wires when the lady on the phone was clearly shocked at that.

I'll update when I'm updated

Thanks

0 Ratings