cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Broadband still dropping many times a day and slowing, after an engineer visit

Hi, 

I raised a fault last week about a noisy line, and using the BT Troubleshooter arranged an engineer who fixed the problem. The noisy line was causing a lot of drop outs, and my download and upload speeds were gradually dropping as a result. (This had seemingly triggered an automatic alert from BT who sent me an email, telling me my broadband was not working properly)

However, whilst the phone is now quieter, my broadband, after an initial day of steady connection has now dropped out multiple times and the speed is slower than it was before.

Screenshot 2021-05-29 at 10.03.19.png

My question is, where do I go from here?  I attempted to use the BT Troubleshooter again, but it shows the fault I arranged as "fixed" and I cannot use it again.  It also shows a separate fault, based on the alert direct from BT. However, with the broadband issue still there, how do I take this forward?

To try and remedy the situation, I have looked over old posts on here - reset the router, gone back to the master socket - but I am running out of things I can try at my end.

Any help, gratefully received!  

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband still dropping many times a day and slowing, after an engineer visit

is your phone line totally quiet on quiet line test?

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to eliminate your master faceplate and internal wiring from causing problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: Broadband still dropping many times a day and slowing, after an engineer visit

Hi @imjolly , thanks for getting back to me and I have just:

1. Plugged my trusty old corded phone into the filter hanging out of the master socket: Little bit of noise, much less than last week.
  2. Switched off the HH5, tested the line with the corded line: Still the tiniest bit of noise, but markedly less
  3. Powered the HH5 back up again, swapped the DSL cable (just in case) and tested again: Same as test 1.

I have a Smart Hub 2, which I got last year (although stopped using it as I prefer to keep the 2.4 / 5 channels separate). I would try that again, if you think that might help?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Oh and the reconnection speeds:

Screenshot 2021-05-29 at 10.41.16.png

Better max data rate and noise margin different, but I expect it will drop again...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

so are you now connected to test socket with a filter and still get noise on landline - should be silent on quiet line test.  if there still noise then you need to report phone fault again to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thanks, I will give it a call

0 Ratings