cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Broadband upload speed

I am paying for superfast broadband.

My download speed varies between 7 and 10 mbps.

My upload speed never exceeds 0.5mbps.

When discussed with BT, their response is that they do  not guarantee upload speeds. When I complained via a BT survey, the response was that I should get better than 0.5mbps upload speed, and I should post the situation on this platform.

So here it is. My BT package, for which I pay £60 per month, is virtually unusable. A Disgrace. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband upload speed

@Ifharrison 

Welcome to this user forum.

Please enter your phone number into this form and display the results here, but edit out your phone number before you post the results.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Right, I’ve done that and have a page full of statistics. I cannot see how I edit out my phone number or return the report to yourself. I can save the report and email it to you if you give me an email address, or print it, mark out the phone number and photo it?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

This is just a customer to customer forum and you cannot send things by email.

What you can do is to take a screen capture, then edit out your phone number using a photo editing app. You can then upload it as an image to a posting on this forum, by using the "camera" icon on the editor you use to post your message.

Capture.JPG

I am assuming its a VDSL connection that you have, as you said you had superfast fibre, The important bit to display is the top lines which show the VDSL download and upload  connection speeds for range A and range B.

If you are on superfast fibre, and only getting 7 to 10Mbs, then you must be a long distance from the cabinet, and I would expect a very low upload speed.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

So, the top line VDSL numbers for upload speed are:-

Range A   High:   1.2.       Low: 0.8

Range B   High:    1.0.      Low: 0.5    

This appears to confirm the virtually unusable Broadband I am paying £60 pmonth for?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@Ifharrison wrote:

So, the top line VDSL numbers for upload speed are:-

Range A   High:   1.2.       Low: 0.8

Range B   High:    1.0.      Low: 0.5    

This appears to confirm the virtually unusable Broadband I am paying £60 pmonth for?

You are too far away from the cabinet so you are getting the same upload speed as you would on ADSL, unless you are very close to the exchange.

You should be able to see the ADSL2 speeds on that same chart. Sometimes they can be faster than superfast broadband. 

Why are you paying that much for broadband, are you out of contract and any discount has ended?

I pay £29,99 for ADSL broadband, which of course includes the line rental.

I get about 12Mbs download and 1.1Mbs upload.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

No, this is a new contract this year.

I have been told that The balance between Upload and download is a bandwidth issue which can be adjusted by the providers. Ie: Upload can be improved at the cost of download.

BT sell their product on the basis of download, and therefore promise better performance because they show a higher download against an ( unpublished) upload. 

My personal feeling is that this is improper practice. How can you operate and charge for a system which crashes security cameras, takes for ever to upload files and charge for superfast. 

ADSL 2 

up to 8 mbps up to 1.0 mbps

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   It would really help if you can manage to post the whole information

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@Ifharrison 

This is only a customer to customer forum and we are all just customers and do not work for BT.

This thread will explain how bandwidth is allocated. It was to answer another forum member with a similar issue.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Slow-Upload-Speed/m-p/2115938#M318172

The high frequency performance drops off very quickly as the distance from the cabinet increases, so its the upload speed that is affected first. As the service is asymmetric, the download speed will always be greater than the upload speed. 

Some of BTs business services do offer a better upload speed to cater more for business usage. As the primary purpose of residential broadband is to deliver Value Added Services like TV and other streaming media, upload bandwidth is not an issue, as long as there is a minimum bandwidth to allow TCP/IP to function correctly.

Posting the smart hub connection information as requested by @imjolly , would provide better information about your actual connection speed.

0 Ratings