Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McDoughnut
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Broadband / wifi dropping on a daily basis

Go to solution

Hi - any advice would be appreciated.  

I've now been working from home for about 10 weeks and, I can imagine, the strain on the network will cause some problems.  However, I'm now have a problem on nearly a daily basis between 2pm and 3.30pm BST whereby my router seems to be restarting.  This peaked yesterday when, on a very important video call, it occurred 5 times, to the point that I had to abandon the call and revert to a telephone call - not helpful when I was presenting information!

Online chat keeps popping up but then saying its unavailable and unfortunately I can't call today due to the regularity of my meetings.  

As I don't have a problem now, I can't give any details and obviously, when it goes down, I can't connect with people about it.

Any advice please?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Broadband / wifi dropping on a daily basis

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
McDoughnut
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

You mean these:

Connection statusConnected
Connection typeFibre Broadband (VDSL)
Firmware versionv0.17.01.12301-BT (Mon Dec 30 19:16:29 2019)
Serial number1.9E+09
Downstream sync speed22.4 Mbps
Upstream sync speed10.0 Mbps
Network uptime0 days 11 Hours 35 Mins 54 Secs
System uptime13 days 15 Hours 42 Mins 44 Secs
BT Wi-fi statusActive

Don't these only show what's occurring now?  presuming therefore that I should be capturing them as the problem irregularly occurs.

0 Ratings
McDoughnut
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Sorry, did you mean these results:

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 57.9 20 19 52.4 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 78.8 55 20 18.3 48.3 Available Available --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 11 -- 6.5 to 15 Available Available --
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 11 Up to 1 6.5 to 15 Available Available --
ADSL Max Up to 6 -- 5 to 8 Available Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Available --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 25
Max Observed Upstream Speed 11.99
Observed Date 2020-05-21
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Premise Environment Status
Bridge Tap N
VRI N
NTE FacePlate N
Last Test Date 08-05-2020
0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Just to help:

VDSL Range A (Clean)

High: 80

Low: 57.9  

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

High:78.8

Low: 55  

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

are you on fibre 1 or 2  looks like fibre 2?

can you check for dial tone and quiet line test?

can you post the noise margin figures from your stats

connection time is only 11 hrs was that router dropping connection or manual reset?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
McDoughnut
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks - just in a meeting so will test line when I can.

The connection time was because the router dropped its connection (which is the issue).  That was the last, of 5, times it dropped within the hour and then nothing since.

0 Ratings
McDoughnut
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Router disconnected right on que again at 3.00pm (thankfully as I was just finishing my meeting) but this time instead of the error message showing the halo with an orange glow, it showed a "flashing" one and offered to restart for me (which I took).  Stats remain the same as before:

VDSL Range A (Clean)

High: 80

Low: 57.9  

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

High:78.8

Low: 55  

When I check the status, I can now see that the firmware has been updated to today and, as expected, both the Network and System uptime messages stand at 18 minutes and 20 minutes respectively.

Presume I give the firmware update to give it a chance to have fixed any issue?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

new firmware may help

it certainly sounds something local maybe even in your home that is causing interference especially if router is dropping about same time every day - something starting or switching on/off

0 Ratings
McDoughnut
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks - will keep monitoring but unfortunately, I have had another instance since my last message.  I think I'll get my hands dirty to ensure I've not got a loose cable or something (although why it would be roughly the same time each day is beyond me).

0 Ratings