cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Broadband

Hello, ive recently moved house and as a result my speeds are not what i was paying for at my last house: 

old house i was paying 40.50pm for speeds upto 67mbs with a garentee of 48mbs download and an upload of 20mbs

in my new house i get speeds upto 37mbs down and 7mbs up with a garentee of 26mbs

but im paying the same price witch is fustrating to say the least. Im an online streamer and the upload speed is killing my capability.

is there anything i can do to increase my speed other than changing provider? Im stook with 16months on my contract and will be exspensive to cancel 

thanks ollie

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband

Changing provider won't help, you will still be the same distance from the cabinet using the same pair of wires which are the factors determining your speed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Liquorice is correct, the overall distance from the cabinet to the router is a key factor, but in my experience some local housekeeping can help..

1. If  your router is connected to an internal extension, try moving it to the master socket (where the BT cable enters the building). Internal cabling is often terrible (especially between newbuild homes and homes built pre 1985)
  2. Does your master socket have two sockets (one for phone , one for DSL), if not, do all socket that are in use by a phone, fax etc have a DSL filter connected? If you don't have VDSL socket at you master, its always a good plan to get one.
  3. I replaced my stock ADSL router cable with a much shorter, higher quality version and it bumped up my speed by a couple of Mbps
  4. Depending on the type and age of your property if you do not have a Master DSL faceplate, it might help to disconnect  terminal 3 (ring) to remove unnecessary noise from your cabling
Message 4 of 5

Thank you this was my first thought, even thow other providers say they can give me more i dont see how they could

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for your reply, its a very old property with very thick walls aswell so i have tried to hard wire were i can and removed home phone and everything not needed to try and boost speeds, i have increased the download slightly but upload is still quite low for what i really need. We have only one socket in the house (main socket) i have the little filter that you plug in (advised buy bt to use) iknow that 5g is being tested not far away so maybe in the near future that could be an option but i may have to install an antenna outside to get the best signal with having thick walls. 

0 Ratings