cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Broadband

Does anybody know if BT TV customers are provided with superior broadband service over broadband only customers?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Broadband

Same for all broadband customers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know if, on becoming a BT customer, something in the local exchange has to be done/switched to transfer from previous ISP to BT?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Depends if it is an ADSL service or VDSL. ADSL is served from the exchange, VDSL is from the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Thanks for the reply.

My router is telling me I'm on VDSL service and I'm 0.7 miles from the cabinet. The VDSL service to my area is further confirmed by my next door neighbours attained speeds of 45meg down and 8.15 meg up.(Also a BT customer)

My speed is 7.9 meg down and 0.547 meg up. 

There are 18 properties where I live and all are fed from a single pole which is directly opposite my house on the other side of the road.

Since my connection to BT broadband on 16th April I have had continuous problems on a daily basis with both speed and connection which present in practical terms as long load times of simple webpages like BBC, Yahoo, Facebook, YouTube and buffering of streaming services at medium resolution of 720p and regular dropping and long period buffering of data streaming websites and my Sky tv box

Typically a screenload time of e.g BBC can be between 70 and 90 secs via wifi on 2.4 ghz  with a 10ft distance between laptop and router and direct line of sight, only air between the two. When connected to the router by ethernet cable the load times are reduced to approx 20 secs.

When its working properly  the load times via wifi are approx 3 secs and via ethernet approx 1 sec.

My router is connected to the master socket.

My next door neighbour has kindly given me access to his broadband so that I can compare the performance of both.

I can connect to his router via wifi which is located approx 30 ft away in his lounge, from my lounge. Our houses are detached from each other so no adjoining wall. In fact I'm connected to his broadband this moment because mine has again stopped working.

When I'm connected to his broadband the performance is exactly as I was expecting from my own broadband service. Fantastic speed and no connectivity issues.

I'm respecting the BT Red Banners and as such I haven't tried to report these issues yet.

In the meantime, any help or suggestions from the Community would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Ps. I've tried changing DNS settings to no avail

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

OK, a couple of things to do so we can help you.

Post the connection stats from the hub.  Advanced settings/technical log/information.

Do a quiet line test, best with corded phone. 17070 option 2.

Enter your phone number HERE and post the result. Remove phone number before posting.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

ok, thanks again for your reply, here's the info:-

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091298+1942000069

Firmware version:v0.17.01.12301-BT

Firmware updated:Thu Apr 16 09:18:30 2020

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019

DSL uptime:0 days,11 Hours27 Mins47 Secs

Data rate:547 Kbps / 7.902 Mbps

Maximum data rate:570 Kbps / 9.206 Mbps

Noise margin:6.7 / 6.3

Line attenuation:14.8 / 34.2

Signal attenuation:10.2 / 38.6

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:413.8 MB Uploaded  / 801.2 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-NPA8C5

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Channel: 1

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-NPA8C5

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:F0:86:20:B4:FA:40

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017

2020-06-10 (3).png

Haven't got a corded phone but carried out quiet line test with cordless phone, base station plugged into master socket, slight hissing/crackling sound.

Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Report a noise on line fault. Don't mention braodband or you'll end up in the wrong queue.

Once the noise is sorted out your broadband should improve.

Your max is only 15Mb though. Your neighbour may be supplied via a different cab even though it is the same pole.

Message 9 of 16

Ok, thanks.

Will report tomorrow. 

My neighbour is going to give me his landline number so that I can run the DSL report and check his cabinet no.

Do you know if I'll be charged for reporting the noise on the line?

Thanks for your help.

Much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

@roonah 

Call :    Residential Customers 0800 800 151

0800 numbers are free both on landline and mobiles!!

0 Ratings