cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 36

Broadband

BT have clearly slowed my broadband service, I’ve had no issues for five years but now that an upgrade is available suddenly my service is patchy.  What can I do, other than leave, to avoid the absurd £300 they are extorting for new equipment?

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36

Re: Broadband

@iHateBritishTelecom1 

Could I raise your awareness to THIS when you state "BT have clearly slowed my broadband service"

Could you possibly post stats from your router as you don't mention what service you are currently on FTTP / FTTC or what upgrade is available to cause you a "Patchy" service.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 36

Thanks for replying.

the service began to slow almost to the day that BT tried to sell me the disks. I live in the middle of nowhere, I’m basically the only person on the line, and have been for years, the line is not the problem. I have no expertise, I don’t know what you are asking about fttp and have no idea how to get stats.  

Four or five years....no issue, no loading issues and no circle of death....suddenly a new product isavailable for an extra cost and my service mysteriously slows down

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 36

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 36

Thanks for your reply

1. 90608076-3605-499D-AC7D-29131A578F3C.pngC3D76536-12D7-4CD2-B8C1-1BE928B85557.png
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 36

you have a 60mb connection speed which is about your attainable speed and with noise margin down at 3.1db suggesting good connection with G.INP active and providing a speed boost   you are however just below expected range but above the minimum handback speed

are you using the master socket?  have you tried using test socket with a filter to see if that help

which master do you have

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 36

thanks for your reply

i have no idea what that means.

number 2, don’t know about master...it’s plugged into a filter that splits the phone and adsl

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 36

is that the only phone socket in your home?  is socket where the openreach line from outside enters your home

from what you have posted you connection with current setup is as good as you will get

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 36

Thanks for your reply

yes, that is the only socket in my very small house, the service drops out about three metres from the hub.

i agree my set up is optimal, so why the loss of service ?  Five years with this set up and no problems, suddenly a new product is available and all of a sudden I have issues.  I’d prefer honesty, just say that BT wants me to upgrade and spend more, I might have a little more respect that way.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 36

If your service has suddenly become slower , then it’s not because your provider is trying to flog you something , it will be a coincidence, however your router stats seem fine.
It could be a congestion issue ( are problems only at busy times ) could even be your own equipment or the sites you use are having issues.
It’s not the case that you are not experiencing problems, but it’s a little fanciful to suggest it’s some sort of conspiracy to get you to upgrade , considering you are already on FTTC the only ‘upgrade’ would be to FTTP and the checker shows that as not being available to you anyway,  so presumably this upgrade is some only some  sort of whole home WiFi anyway.

If you have such a large potential ETC, presumably you are a recent joiner or recently re-contracted, and given that you ‘hate British Telecom’ it does seem odd that you chose to use them in the first place.

0 Ratings