cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Bt Engineers can't fix my broadband

Hi. So at first when joined my speeds were great, no interference what so ever. Half way through contract I suddenly get disconnecting for a few seconds, then slow speeds.

This problem has been going on for 3 months. I have had around 6 engineers out in this time. I have had filter changed, line checked, router restarted, external engineers, new router. The last person I spoke to over the phone said there is interference with my broadband and that an engineer could fix it... They couldn't, they said the interference could be anywhere and they won't be able to find it. 

I'm so frustrated, they said changing/moving the router won't change anything.

So now I'm stuck with fluctuating speeds from 500kbps to 12 mbps (I have noticed this through a big download tonight) let's just say its taken 4 hours to do 7gb.

Can anyone fix this? Or send me in the right direction? BT can't seem to fix anything. 

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Bt Engineers can't fix my broadband

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

The engineers are from Openreach, not BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

No. As stated BT have tested all my line and said it's working perfectly.

They've said it is a interference.

Plus I haven't just had Openreach come out,the other company has been too (forget the name) 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

@Paxmin wrote:

No. As stated BT have tested all my line and said it's working perfectly.

They've said it is a interference.

Plus I haven't just had Openreach come out,the other company has been too (forget the name) 

But have you checked the line yourself, as some faults cannot be detected by BT testing the line?

Do the quiet line test yourself, and listed for noise for a couple of minutes. High resistance faults are quite common, and do not show up on a test, but show up as noise on your phone calls.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

No as I don't use my land-line. I don't have a house phone. I did watch the guy attatch his phone and saw there was no noise on the line. He did this for quite a while.

I'va had tons of engineers out now and none of them can fix my problem. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

@Paxmin wrote:

No as I don't use my land-line. I don't have a house phone. I did watch the guy attatch his phone and saw there was no noise on the line. He did this for quite a while.

I'va had tons of engineers out now and none of them can fix my problem. 

A landline phone is essential for fault finding.

Why do you need phone connected to your line?

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

OK so I have just tested using a phone. 

There is a dail tone and there is no noise on the line. As suspected the phone line is working perfectly fine. 

What now? As said above the problem is not the line. I have had everything checked as well as me just checking. The engineer said there is rain and also the bt fault team said there is an interference. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

Hi @Paxmin it's very strange that you have had 6/7 engineers but none of them could fix it. Do you know if they have tried changing your port or reset your port? Did they replace the wire outside if it's caused by rain?  I highly suspect the issue is indeed outside of your property from BT side. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

My line is perfectly fine. "rain" meaning there is an electrical interference with my router/broadband connection. That's what the engineers called it. They said they can't control if the neighbours are causing it etc. 

The new router has helped with most of the disconnecting but I'm still getting slow speeds. I did a bt speed test last night an it said 8mbps, the engineers tested the speed direct last week and said it was 35mbps. I never get this speed.

Seems this is a hardware problem but they have basically tried everything. I predict it will start disconnecting again soon and my speeds will be lowered to meet a sustainable speed. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

0 Ratings