cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rhyn0
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Bt Infinity 2 clearly capped at 40/10. Tech support=useless

Hi. I recently moved home from Yeovil to Newbury. Back in Yeovil i was getting  70+ constant dl, so was pretty happy with it. Switched my Infinity 2 over about 2 weeks ago, and ever since activation it's pretty clearly capped at 40 dl /10 ul. .No speedtest (either BT or random internet ones) have ever gone past 40/10, and i've run dozens. The speed is quite steady, i'm not complaining about that, it's just that it is CLEARLY CAPPED(either by harware or software). i've been with tech support on the phone and online a few times, i only get textbook answers and they clearly don't have a clue or are just following script. I've had them monitor my line for a week, bla bla, got a callback with more script talk. Supposedly they will give me abother call next week, i'm not expecting much.

In Yeovil i had an engineer installed socket ( the one with the above/below configuration). Here i don't have one of those, i had to buy a filter for the old socket. Could that be the issue?

I took screenshots of the latest test. (Ethernet only, no wireless, etc, i know the drill).bt1.jpgbt2.jpgbt3.jpgbt4.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: Bt Infinity 2 clearly capped at 40/10. Tech support=useless

From those figures, you are on over 40Mb download and over 10Mb upload.  It looks like you're just unlucky, rather than capped.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Yep, upload ip profile is 20 so on infinity 2. Not worth paying the extra though so might as well downgrade to Infinity 1
0 Ratings
Rhyn0
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

Exccept i have NEVER gotten 41 DL or 11UL. i can run the test 50 times during the day, will always get 39.5-40.8  9.5-10  but never any higher.

What i'm trying to say is that it's consistent at 40/10 but never higher. That says cap to me. What about the max data rate in the other screens? why random 43xxx? how is that max data rate set?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

it is not a cap the speed you have is the maximum your line can support this is due to your distance from your local street cabinet
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 6 of 17

Please run https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html then copy and paste the results after deleting your phone number

Best regards,
dfenceman
Rhyn0
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

ADSL Checker result:

bt5.jpg

Speedtest this morning: ( this is the typical result):

bt6.jpg

Thanks for your time 😄

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

are you in this post code RG14 2RG 

It may be that you could get a faster connection as you may be suffereing from G.INP with your HH5a and Huawei cab.  many have solved the problem on the forum by getting a HG612 modem (from auction site) and using in conjunction with HH5a

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Rhyn0
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

RG14 2SJ, quite close to the one you quoted.

Could you please link me to any info on that modem and how it's used with the HH5? Looks like an openreach fibre modem from what i could find on a quick search.

Regarding the speeds i'm getting, am I to understand it's the best i can get here and i have to put up with it? No cap just harware issues?

I'm not familiar with reading all of these stats yet, slowly getting there.

It still seems kind of strange to me.. i mean ok, DL max 41 mbps as this is max the line supports, ok, let's say i'm ok with that ( which i'm not). How about UL? 9.5-10 and line max 20.. never got 11.

Assuming this is the best speed i can get here, how would going to Infinity 1 affect it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

this is a whole thread about it.

the modem is conencted to the master socket using the current rj11 cable then use an ethernet cable to connect the modem to WAN port on HH5a - plug and play

if you search the auction site for hg612 - NOT ECI

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.