cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rhyn0
Beginner
Message 11 of 17

Re: Bt Infinity 2 clearly capped at 40/10. Tech support=useless

What sort of increase am I looking at with this modem?

What i'm trying to understand really is what influences the DL line IP profile speed? how is that calculated? is it fixed/set or does it vary?

And how can i find how far i am from my cabinet or whatever it's called. i tried a few searches but nothing obvious.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

your IP Profile is 98.6% of your connection speed (data rate ) and it only changes if the data rate changes your download can be anything up to that speed

as to cabinet distance once you know your cabinet number from the the checker the best way is to take a walk around your neighbourhood and locate the cabinet
Rhyn0
Beginner
Message 13 of 17

Thanks, i'm starting to grasp all of this. Looks like i'm asking the wrong questions :D. Thanks for the patience.

So it looks like it's the data rate that interests me. I assume its a combination of physical limitations (line type, distance, interference) and "soft" limits, as in operator set limits.

What i'm trying to find out is if there's a way to check if that 40 max data rate is set by the ISP( as in BT). I assume that's quite impossible, but doesn't hurt to ask. Like, if someone forgot to change that 40 to 80 for example in a little box somewhere.

Seeing as when i DL constant to that 40 at all times, that's why i think it's limited/capped somewhat.

I've looked into geting a Huawei 612 as well, we'll see if that solves anything.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 17

you can see from your stats that you are not limited in speed and are on ifinity 2  your limit is more to do with distance from the street cabine and line quality not forgetting possibly G.INP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 17

the soft cap relates to infinity1 which has a 40mb cap down and 10mb IP profile on the upload your connection speed is 43.26mb which is at the bottom of the infinity 2 speed range
Tazz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 17

Call BT ask to move down to the 40/10 package and save some £££

Rhyn0
Beginner
Message 17 of 17

hmm, guess i'm just unlucky then..

I'll try the 612, if not i'll downgrade to inf 1

0 Ratings