cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sadoldgit1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Bt Infinity, HH3 and Airport Express

am thinnking about taking BT infinity. THis apparently needs HH3. Have seen threads about connection problems between HH3 and airport express. (I had similar problems with HH2, so resorted to old BT Voyager)

1. does anyone know if problems with HH3 and airport express can be fixed

2. Can I use BT infinity with a BT Voyager

thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
braveheart
Message 2 of 12

Re: Bt Infinity, HH3 and Airport Express

it wont work with a voyager you need a fibre compatable router
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

If you get Infinity you will not need the HH3 in the first place you can just connect the Airport Express to the Openreach modem.
0 Ratings
jjgraphics
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

Long time Mac user here.

Dump the BT HH3 and go for an Airport Extreme (or Time Capsule).

The performance is first class and the capabilities will give you a very good choice in your set-up. I get a good signal at the bottom of the garden about 75 feet away from the back of the house (the AE is at the front of the house another 30 feet away through several walls). The signal from the HH3 gave up just outside the back door!

0 Ratings
Sadoldgit1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

thanks for the advice. An alternatve I've been considering is to use an ethernet plug adapter. I use this to connect BT vision box (adapter plugs into mains socket and has ethernet port.)

Do you know if I could use AE by plugging it directly intio the ethernet port?

0 Ratings
nadnosliw
Message 6 of 12

This sounds good. I have been considering getting a Time Capsule or perhaps an AE for a while, but not done so because I've heard BT stuff doesn't like to work with third party components. Can you confirm that you use one with an Openreach modem (for use with Infinity) with no problems?
0 Ratings
Sadoldgit1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I asked the question before getting infinity (preempting problems) .have since got equipment and airport express has been fine . Haven't had any dropouts since I get equipment installed before christmass. Haven't had to try option of using Ethernet cable
0 Ratings
Highlighted
nadnosliw
Message 8 of 12

Cool.   thanks for getting back to me.

0 Ratings
nadnosliw
Message 9 of 12

I went ahead and got an Airport Extreme. I am running BT Infinity with a BT OpenReach modem. It takes a bit of setting up — you have to manually enter some settings as you would expect — but it has been up and running for several months now with no problems. Internet is fine and device to device communications (e.g. wireless printing) are fine.

Only down side is that it is quite noisy, more so than the HH3 I think.
0 Ratings
brian532
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Re: "If you get Infinity you will not need the HH3 in the first place you can just connect the Airport Express to the Openreach modem."

No use at all. I don't know what you use your Airport Express for, but mine is used to send music to our hi-fi, and so has to be connected to the hi-fi. Therefore it cannot also be connected to the modem.

This worked fine when I used to get my internet via (whisper quietly) Virgin. But with BT Infinity it would lose its connection every now and then. Apple provided a free replacement but that was no better. Following a few tips (e.g. connect to one's laptop via ethernet cable for setup) I was able to set up a connection eventually, but it still loses connection quite frequently. Interestingly enough, resetting the hub gets it going again, though restarting AE does not!

0 Ratings