cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blod74
Message 1 of 4

Bt Infinity says download speed is 60mb but most I can get in real terms is 8

I Have BT Infinity and when I do a line test it says that it's 60mb download, but whe I actually download a file from somethng like steam then the most I get is 8mb.

I am also a bit unsure what the engineer did when he visited, he didn;t change the socket and just plugged the router into the same microfilter I had for my Broadband which doesn;t sound right.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
andy_mitchelluk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Bt Infinity says download speed is 60mb but most I can get in real terms is 8

This is the Bit/Byte conversion. Whatever your speed is on the router (ie 60 Mbps), divide it by 8 as that's the speed that an operating system reports.

Full explanation from Yahoo answers:

Your connection speed is 5 Mb/s - 5 Megabits per second.
The download speed you get is 750kB/s - 750 kiloBytes per second.

Since 1 byte = 8 bits one number is going to be 8 times the other.

A 5mb/s connection would be 5 millibits per second = 0.005bits/second

Why is your connection speed in bits/second but download speeds reported in bytes per second? The answer is that it's tradition.

Your data connection sends information 1 bit at a time and the data rate on serial connections like that has always been reported in bits per second.
But the smallest piece of information you computer can handle is 1 byte (8 bits), anything less than 8 bits is of no use to it. So the first thing it does when data comes in is package the incoming data up into bytes. Since what it then counts is how many of those complete bytes it has received the progress is reported in bytes per second.

0 Ratings
Arronleeds
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Re: Bt Infinity says download speed is 60mb but most I can get in real terms is 8

do you mean 8 MB/s, think youre confused. look here http://gyazo.com/50c95a3dc612e2da0471b77f19cfd81a

you might be getting more than 60 "megabits".

megabits is- mbps

megabytes is- MB/s

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

i was told to remove all the micro filters so that doesnt sound right. also for infinity the faceplate has to be changed.

can you take a picture of the faceplate so others can advise.

0 Ratings