Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
utopianfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Bt Infinity slower than expected speeds

Hi

new to the forum and BT. On sign up was estimated @ between 28-36Mb down and 6-7 UP.. Installed about a month ago and since day one have been getting 23/24 down and about 3/4 UP. Put in a fault request to get it checked out and firstly all checks were good, was then told that there was a fault and that an enginneer would have a look...next a phone call saying the fault was fixed..on checking speeds were exactly the same.... a subsequent phone call then saying there was no fault and my line could only take 25 MB down, so basically nothing more to be done call closed. I then phoned customer care to argue that i was paying for an estimated speed of 28-36 which i'm now told my line would never achieve so manged to get a slight reduction on my monthly charge

However prior to BT i was with SKY and the intsalltion gave me over 33 down and 6/7 UP but since the start of this year i noticed the speed falling continually until i was getting around 20/21..again logged a call and BT Openreach guy came to house and could find no fault, but had no explantion as to why my speed had dropped..Sky weren't interesed in fault finding so i ditched them in the hope that BT might prove to be better..but not much...

Can someone please tell me where if anywhere i can go with this... I have BT homehub wiht rj11 connection direct into main socket which has been fitted with the new plate..all this was checked out by the openreach engineer when i was with SKy.. what puzzles me most is why my speed has dropped so much ?

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Bt Infinity slower than expected speeds

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number 

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

can you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtster and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  MUST be done wired 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
utopianfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

1. Product name:

BT Home Hub

2. Serial number:

+068343+NQ51722270

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 23/07/15

4. Board version:

BT Hub 5A

5. DSL uptime:

0 days, 01:26:47

6. Data rate:

4486 / 21703

7. Maximum data rate:

4500 / 27199

8. Noise margin:

6.0 / 6.1

9. Line attenuation:

24.8 / 25.2

10. Signal attenuation:

24.8 / 22.4

11. Data sent/received:

40.6 MB / 544.2 MB

12. Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

13. BT Wi-fi:

Yes

14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

BTWLAN

15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:

Disabled

16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

BTWLAN

19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:

Disabled

20. 5 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

22. Firewall:

Disabled

23. MAC Address:

54:64:d9:03:37:e4

24. Modulation:

G.993.2 Annex B

25. Software variant:

AA

26. Boot loader:

0 Ratings
utopianfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information. Download Speed 20.02 Mbps 0 Mbps 21.01 Mbps Max Achievable Speed Download speedachieved during the test was - 20.02 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 14.7 Mbps-21.01 Mbps . Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 21.01 Mbps 2. Upstream Test: -provides background information. Upload Speed 3.67 Mbps 0 Mbps 10 Mbps Max Achievable Speed Upload speed achieved during the test was - 3.67Mbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

can you enter your phone number and post results remember to delete number
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
0 Ratings
utopianfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

BT.png

0 Ratings
utopianfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Can someone kindly tell me what these mean  ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

the estimated 'A' speed is 36/27mb assuming a good line with no problems and 'B' estimate for no so good lines is 30/16mb and from your stats your attainable of 27mb is bottom of 'A' or top of 'B'

if you have already had an engineer visit and he has checked your socket and line then it does not appear you can get much faster.  you coud always ring customer services and complain your speed is below the estimate and see if they will send another engineer to check your connection - might find something first engineer didn't.  however if similar to speed just before you left sky it doesn't sound promising

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
utopianfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

why then was i achieveing 33 on  first install with Sky and my line speed has dropped so dramatically... to now 24/25..what has happened... ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

probably more people on your fibre cabinet and suffering some crosstalk resulting in a drop in connection speed

0 Ratings