cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Bt hub badly placed

Go to solution

Good morning everyone, I live in a coach house with 2 floors, the bottom floor is the garage and the second floor is the living area, recently had an engineer come round to Instal the full fibre package (wifi only) with the hub 2, and he placed the hub on the bottom floor at the entrance, my question is, is there anyway I could get it on the top floor where the signal would be better? Is there anyway I could get BT to provide longer fibre cable? Or any other solution? Thank you for your help

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Bt hub badly placed

Go to solution

A longer fibre cable is not required. The ONT (fibre modem) can remain where it is and you can simply run a Cat5e Ethernet cable from the ONT to the relocated hub.

If you don't wish to run a cable, you can connect the hub to the ONT via powerline adapters but you may not get the full speed.

Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you for the Quick reply, do you know where I could get cat5e Ethernet cable from, I reckon id need at least 10 meters worth of cable! 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

@Bjscc1989wrote:

Thank you for the Quick reply, do you know where I could get cat5e Ethernet cable from, I reckon id need at least 10 meters worth of cable! 

Usual place, sounds like a long, large South American river. We're not allowed advertising here!

Check reviews before committing.

Alternatively, a perhaps a little pricier, your usual electrical shop which sounds like eastern hot stuff!

Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

or the Station that has Tools or the place to get Screws fixed - they have this stuff.

Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

😂😂😂

Brilliant

Thank you so much for your help

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@gspearson @Carlusha 

It is perfectly within forum rules to name Amazon etc, just not to post a link to items.

Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

@gspearson @Carlusha 

It is perfectly within forum rules to name Amazon etc, just not to post a link to items.

Thank you, @licquorice !

😂Amazon, Currys, Tool Station and, last but not least, Screwfix! 😂

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Any advice on what cable to buy? 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Any Cat5e Ethernet cable will be suitable. If you are not confident in buying the cable and fitting the RJ45 connectors at each end youself, just buy a patch lead of the requisite length.

The most elegant solution would be to fit an Ethernet socket at each end and run the cable between the sockets, then connect the ONT to one socket and the hub to the other using short patch leads.

ONT --patch cord-- Socket1 -----cable------Socket2--patch cord--Hub

0 Ratings