cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lydanial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Bt infinity getting worse

So for 18 months from moving in to a new build house I had a pretty solid 49-52MB com bt infinity. All happy and had it stated on my account a minimum speed of 43.
Recently I noticed it has dropped to around 40 so got in touch only to be told that my guaranteed speed now is 38 so my internet is fine.
I called bt to upgrade being told that I'd receive around 67MB so took the plunge and upgraded... My internet has stayed at 40-42 now for the last week.
My router is syncing at around 48... Exactly the same as infinity 1.

So a couple of things.
1, with having 50MB for so long with no issues, why did that suddenly drop by 10MB for no reason. Nothing has changed at all my end.
2, what was the point of the rep trying to sell infinity plus knowing I'm going to get no increase?
3, how can I test my line distance?
4, do you think that bt 'moved' my line/connection and gave it to a new customer to impress them?
5, if it now drops to 30 what is to stop bt stating that my estimated speed is 28 and so all is fine my end?
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Bt infinity getting worse

@lydanial wrote:

So a couple of things.
1, with having 50MB for so long with no issues, why did that suddenly drop by 10MB for no reason. Nothing has changed at all my end. Could be a fault. Carry out the following test which will help diagnose if there is a fault.
2, what was the point of the trip trying to sell infinity plus knowing I'm going to get no increase? They are sales people. It is up to you to check if it is worth "upgrading"
3, how can I test my line distance? As per the following tests
4, do you think that bt 'moved' my line/connection and have our to a New customer to impress them? No
5, if it now drops to 30 what is to stop by stating that my estimated speed is 28 and so all is fine my end? Nothing. The follwing tests will give an estimate of what your line can get.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed.

0 Ratings
lydanial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Information for Helpdesk agents
When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068543+NQ51320658
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 01/07/17
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 01:33:58
6. Data rate: 9997 / 48940
7. Maximum data rate: 16961 / 59042
8. Noise margin: 10.2 / 8.8
9. Line attenuation: 24.3 / 19.4
10. Signal attenuation: 24.1 / 19.4
11. Data sent/received: 137.8 MB / 1.5 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

0 Ratings
lydanial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

0 Ratings
lydanial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

There seems to be very slight static on the line on the quiet test, however I'm not totally sure.
I've not got my laptop here so can't do the wired test.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

According to your stats etc your line is estimated to get between 44Mbps and 64Mbps. Your hub is showing that your line can get a max data rate of 59Mbps and has an data rate of 48Mbps with a noise margin of 8.8.

The noise margin is high it should be around 6 which tends to indicate a line problem.

If you have noise on the line when you carry out the quiet line test you need to report a telephone fault not a broadband fault. Once the fault that is causing the noise on the line is fixed your speeds should start to increase.

Meanwhile try connecting to the master socket test socket and see if your stats improve. If they do it would indicate a problem with eitherthe master socket face plate or your internal wiring.

Test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
lydanial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

I'll grab a filter from the garage tomorrow and test master socket.
What fault for the line do I report? Noise on line?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Yes, noise on the line. Do the quiet line with the test socket first in case the fault is with the face plate or your internal wiring.

0 Ratings
lydanial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Bt wholesale test

Download 42.51
Upload 8.50
Ping 43.13

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

If you have connected the filter to the test socket can you post the new router stats
Did you try quiet line test in test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings