Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdyer1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Bt smart hub problem

Hi everyone.

Thought I would post here as I am starting to lose my faith in BT customer service.

I recently bought a 1965 house about 2 months ago and set about getting bt infinity. Everyone worked fine until it rained and we would get disconnected. This persisted and 3 engineering visits later they fixed the issue. No fault is detected along our line now.

However. There is still an issue, it's entirely random but the smart hub randomly drops connection for no reason ( orange flashing light comes on) and after a minute or two it goes back to blue. This can be at any stage of the day with devices connected or without.

I've contacted support who repeatedly tell me there is no problem and they can see some drops in my broadband connection but haven't done anything about it.

The speed has not dropped from what I can tell.

I do note in the advanced settings that the 'up time'refreshes each time this vicious cycle occurs.

Any help would be much appreciated.
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
jdyer1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Bt smart hub problem

Oh and to add, we do not have a phone. All phone tests by engineer have been fine.

We and the engineer only found 2 sockets, one could not be the master socket and he deaded that one. Replaced the other socket and problem still occurs
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Buy yourself a £5 corded phone, plug it into the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket, dial 17070 and listen for any noise on the quiet line test.

0 Ratings
jdyer1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

As I said above, we have no idea where the master socket is. The engineers plugged a phone into the socket where the hub is plugged in and did a line test there. No crackles, static, or anything.

Remote tests from BT support have been clear.
0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 5 of 10

@jdyer1 wrote:
Oh and to add, we do not have a phone. All phone tests by engineer have been fine.

We and the engineer only found 2 sockets, one could not be the master socket and he deaded that one. Replaced the other socket and problem still occurs

So as far as you know, you now only have one working phone socket? The engineer gave you a new master socket. Do you now have a master phone socket with a plug for the phone and a plug for internet on the same socket? No microfilter needed?

As @licquorice says you really need a corded phone so you can check the line from the test socket which would be located behind the master socket face plate,  you could also then check the extensions to make sure they are disconnected. 

0 Ratings
jdyer1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

No, behind this socket is one hole for the filter to connect to. We don't have 2 there. Should we ask for a new master socket to be fitted?

The other internet socket was in the kitchen in what used to be a cupboard so I highly doubt (and the engineer did) that was the master. His one is in the corner of the living room.

I have borrowed a corded phone and done ad requested, line is clear, no cracked etc.

Part of the fault before was to replace something at the exchange, Vic/lic line or something?
0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 7 of 10

It sounds like you have found the master socket as there should only be one hole for a phone to plug into behind the master socket face plate. Pluging a phone into that test socket eliminates all internal wiring whist you do a quiet line test.

A new master socket is not necessary I'm in a 1950s property and I would think my master socket is 30 years old judging by the really old bt logo on it, I need to use a microfilter. I was just trying to help you locate where you're master socket is. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Try leaving the router plugged into the test socket with a new filter, if you still get drop outs you will need an engineer visit to fix the intermittent line fault.

0 Ratings
jdyer1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Spoke to Bt last night who confirmed that there was online faults but we were experience dropouts.

They didn't know the cause, they assumed it was wireless dropouts and were confident in splitting the wireless bands.

However my Ethernet computer also drops out at the same time, I did mention that when it rains it seems to cut it out,but nevertheless, split the wireless bands and it's being monitored for 24hr.

No rain last night or overnight and none due within their 24 hour monitoring period so all in All, a useless test.

Although, in dropouts we've had, all but 2/3 were as a result of rain.
0 Ratings
jdyer1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

There was no faults**
0 Ratings