cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimBanham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 68

Re: Cabinet 50 Swadlincote Exchange

BT have installed additional capacity - two extra cabinets etc - however that lasted all of a week before it ran out again.  I think what they are not understanding is that basic broadband is rubbish here so if you want anything useable you need to go fibre.  Therefore they need to massively increase the capacity

0 Ratings
jamesj74
Contributor
Message 42 of 68

Being that the development is well over a mile from Cabinet 50, slow ADSL is not really a surprise...  Maybe Chruch Gresley has grown enough (500+ new houses in the last 10 years?) that BT should consider providing it with its own cabinet?  Not fitting us into an existing one that is already heavily over subscribed.  Most recently they installed a really small extra cabinet at the foot of our road.  Had to dig up the road to run cables from two other larger cabinets at the other side of the road...  Seems an ar5e about t1t way to do stuff if you ask me.

0 Ratings
jamesj74
Contributor
Message 43 of 68

While BT/Openreach continue to rest easy on their laurels we who await cabinet 50 should give them something to consider:

Check this out - Virgin Media is now cabling 4 million new homes and businesses.

Do you want Virgin Media? All you need to do is register your interest at cablemystreet.virginmedia.com (I've just done it).

Tell your friends and neighbours too - the more people that say they want Virgin Media, the more likely they are to supercharge your area.

Please spread the word - we might get a faster response from Virgin...

0 Ratings
jamesj74
Contributor
Message 44 of 68

If OpenReach were customer facing it might help me to see them as a different entity, however they are not. The whole arrangement just gives BT another company to apportion blame to when they miss a delivery date and the best part is you can't speak to anyone at OpenReach to complain about their (BT Group's) shoddy service.

0 Ratings
jamesj74
Contributor
Message 45 of 68

They are digging up the road again - looks like another cabinet might be going in...

On a lighter note:

Everest has faster broadband than some UK locations, according to this BBC report: ow.ly/ZaaL4

No surprise there...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 46 of 68

@jamesj74 wrote:

Check this out - Virgin Media is now cabling 4 million new homes and businesses.

Do you want Virgin Media? All you need to do is register your interest at cablemystreet.virginmedia.com (I've just done it).

Please spread the word - we might get a faster response from Virgin...

Only where they already have a footprint. VM have a lot of empty ducting already in place as the original cable co's ran out of money for expansion and large areas were left unconnected.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 47 of 68

Not true. Virgin are currently installing around 14 miles of new cabling and duct work to connect an estate in West Allotment, North Tyneside. I know this as a few family members live on the estate and have been involved in the petitioning that has took almost 2 years.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 48 of 68

@Webby I'll have to get back to you on that as I don't have time to locate and check the vacant ducts map (have to go out.). 

There will be street works necessary depending on where the ducts terminated. There were estates ducted but no ducting from the headend to the planned cab points, there were ducts from headends to cab points and nothing to the estates. Both being done by different contractors. Sometimes ducting between headends intended for splitting out on the way and still empty as the headend connections are routed differently. The work stopped in one fell swoop when the money ran out.

It was a crazy time then.:smileywink:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 49 of 68

"Network expansion will be prioritised according to demand from households and companies, with a focus on areas closest to Virgin Media’s existing network."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 68

I don't doubt it, but google west allotment. I've watched the work go on for the past few months bringing the cable to the new VM cabinets that have just went up this week, it's come from quite a distance.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings