cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newsed
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Cabinet Migration

***Edited by mod*** My cabinet is a long way from my premises and although I have FTTC   I can only get 11mb ( on a good day) superfast BB not Infinity. My  my son is always complaining of poor perfomance and buffering when he is online gaming. A  colleague who works for Openreach has told me that I may be  being linked to a cabinet nearer to my premises ( approx 200 metres away) and should be able to achieve speeds of about 25 mb. The Openreach site shows that this is cabinet  44  off Ecclesfield exchange and is open for orders.  Who do I need to call to check if this is correct and if I will be moved over.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Cabinet Migration

Please see https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Fibre-broadband/Moving-To-Cabinet-Closer-To-Property/td-p/17...

There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead?

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

This has been posted many times on the forum. Openreach will not move your connection to a different cabinet just to improve your broadband connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Openreach will not move you from one cabinet to another to increase your broadband speeds.

0 Ratings
Newsed
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Thanks to all the replies  but  colleague told me this was new solution to poor speeds and they divert the cables when there is a nearer cabinet. There has been a lot of activity with Openreach Fibre engineers in the streets around my road recently so next time I see them I will speak to them. Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

If there is an "Infill" cabinet being installed you might get moved but in general Openreach do not move lines.

See link and in particlar the FAQ "There is another Cabinet near me already accepting orders etc etc"

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/help-support/when-can-i-get-fibre-faqs

0 Ratings
Newsed
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks. Thats the link I went on to find I was on cab 44 which is approx 200m away. My current cab is about 1k away. Any idea who I could call. ***Edited by mod***

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

There is nobody you can call. It is entirely up to Openreach when/if they install a new cabinet and whose lines get moved.

0 Ratings
Newsed
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Thanks ***Edited by mod***

0 Ratings