Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ronnie82
Beginner
Message 1 of 24

Cabinet change

Go to solution

Hi all. Hope you can help. We moved to our property believing that it would soon be upgraded to superfast  we checked the OpenReach website and watched diligently over the months as it progressed, only for it to abruptly change to something akin to 'you are too far from the cabinet to get superfast we are looking into other options, set up a comminity funded programme in the interim'

Well, it seems our neighbours all got superfast but we are stuck with 1mb. We are connected to Grindleford cabinet 1 2.5km away, yet their are several cabinets a stones throw from the house that are fibre enabled. 

How do we get connected to one of these cabinets? A quick google and a plusnet forum showed someone having success with this. Ive been in contact with Openreach but it seems I'm BTs customer and not theirs.... any help?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Cabinet change

Go to solution

@Ronnie82 

The answer is no,

See https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/help-support/when-can-i-get-fibre-faqs

"There's another cabinet near me that's already accepting orders. Can I get fibre broadband from there instead?"

"Unfortunately not. We can’t move a line that’s already connected to a home or business from one cabinet to another."

0 Ratings
Ronnie82
Beginner
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, although i'm inclined to query any answer that is simply 'you can't'........ why not? Seems the person below did

https://community.plus.net/t5/Business/FTTC-New-cabinet-installed-much-closer-than-my-connection/td-...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

Because you can't just move one line to a new cabinet, the whole local underground cable network needs to be re-arranged to do it.

How close are the 'neighbours' that are connected to the other cabinet, it may possibly be a database error and you are in fact connected to a different cabinet. If your line is fed from a pole, all lines from that pole  will come from the same cabinet, check what the checker says for them.

0 Ratings
Ronnie82
Beginner
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Hi,

Neighbours are 10 metres away. The post code is S32 3YB

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @Ronnie82 ,

The example you quoted was for a business line.  If you are also running a business then you need to post on https://business.forums.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Ronnie82
Beginner
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

No its not for a business. Regardless of use, the example quoted shows it can be done,  and there are other examples I've seen of this happening. Question is, why can it be done for some and not others... all I keep hearing is no. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

can you post results from dslchecker  enter phone number as most accurate  remember delete number before posting

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ronnie82
Beginner
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number n Exchange GRINDLEFORD is served by Cabinet 1

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
Left in JumperObserved SpeedsVDSLADSLOther Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environmentStatus
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2.5--1 to 4Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 2.5Up to 0.51 to 4Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1 to 3.5Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available---- 
Fixed Rate1----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)--3.87     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)--0.45     
Observed Date--2019-08-05     
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date14-08-2019      

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 29-Feb-2016; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2016.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note:

Thank you for your interest.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

I told you in message 4 why it can't be done.

Did you try the checker with any of your neighbour's number/address fed from the same pole to see what it returned as suggested?

0 Ratings