Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turley737
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Cabinet constructed in June 2015. Appears complete, no one is connected

Hi all

Our area suffers from shockingly slow broadband. In early 2015 it was indicated to us that we would be connected to fibre under the BDUK project by the end of the year. Work began in May 2015 and work stopped in June 2015. As far as I am aware the cabinet was constructed and connected to the power grid. The guys working on it indicated that it would be 6-8 weeks and the Openreach website indicated coming soon.

However by the end of the year we had no movement and the Openreach website went back to "Exploring Solutions" which is what it says currently.

Due to the delay, I have began asking questions through my local MP to BT, Openreach and Local Government. The anwsers I get are very vague and often contradictory:

• BT act as if nothing has occurred and I ofter get, the cabinet may over subscribed or they may have issues connecting it to the grid. Neither of which is the case
  • Openreach told me it would be completed by April 2017 only to tell me that that information was incorrect and the project had been cancelled with no further information available
  • Local government indicated that there was a cost issue and it was more than likely the project had been cancelled without giving further details

I have done a bit of research by myself and discovered originally there was 60 properties to be served by the exchange however my property is the third closest to the cabinet. My thinking that is that if they have connected the cabinet to the power grid then it is possible to connect it to the exchange and that an issue has arose in connected some of the properties that are located further away

This morning I received to my shock the a letter from NI Broadband that stated that Fibre was available to order and that I should contact my service provider to place an order. When trying to place the order I was told that Fibre was not available and the letter was a mistake. I am hoping that it is just a matter of Openreach updating their information. Has anyone had any experience of something similar or what I should do?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Cabinet constructed in June 2015. Appears complete, no one is connected

If it's been connected to the power grid, then I can only assume there was an issue getting the fibre to the cabinet, and that too many ducts were blocked and it was going to cost too much to excavate, repair and then blow the fibre.

Sometimes road closures are required and can be refused, depending on what roads need closing etc.

If you're not getting anywhere from the angles you're trying, you could go down the route of a community funded partnership although, as some of the work has been done, I'm not sure how much if any, Openreach would further contribute. You may have to fund the rest of the works yourselves as a community.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
turley737
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I have enquired into the community partnership bit they seem unable to find out what stage of the build we are at and what the issue was. I contacted them about 6 weeks ago and have had a few conversation with them. I haven't heard from them in 3 weeks tho and they aren't replying to emails

Its more the letter I received this moring that concerns me that stated fibre with speeds of 32mbps was available at my address yet BT are saying it isn't
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Can you put your number into here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post the results.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
turley737
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

IMG_0003.jpg

0 Ratings
turley737
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Above seems to tie in with what BT are saying. Is it possible the above still has to be updated?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

No, the letter is wrong.

It's a strange one. Every other cab on the exchange is being done. There must be a good reason why cab 5 hasn't.

Have you tried contacting https://www.economy-ni.gov.uk/consultations/superfast-rollout-programme-phase-2 ?

They have a list of postcodes in the intervention area, and all postcodes that are served by cabinet 5 are covered in that list, so they SHOULD get to you, but as to when, only they can answer.
0 Ratings
turley737
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

That's the thing most in the area were upgraded back in 2015 and there has been no movemnet on the cabinet since June 2015.

The cabinet was newly constructed and is essentially sitting there doing nothing. The cost of the cabinet alone is £25k I believe. I can't understand why they have spend this money and seem to have no intention of completing it

I did contact DfE (Previously DETI) all they could tell me was that Openreach had decided not to proceed with the project and had decided to proceed with "Better Value for Money" projects elsewhere. When I pressed for further details I was told the information was commericially sensitive and they considered it not to be public interest to do so and they would be making no further comment

Any suggestions as to where I can get further info?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

No ideas sorry.
0 Ratings