cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moley
Contributor
Message 1 of 114

Cabinet is fibre enabled but it isn't, so why not enable it???

Go to solution

The customers :-

Ian (me)

Mark (lives 3 houses away)

Andrew (lives 10 houses away)

A couple if years ago we all upgraded to faster broadband (upto 20 Mbps). We were getting around 7 Mbps so that increased to around 13-14 Mbps.  So far so good.

This year the cabinet (number 3) was upgraded to fibre and was enabled.  The downside was there was over 1 mile of copper between cabinet and us, so no speed increase, we were stuck with 14 Mbps.

This summer a fibre cabinet appeared at the end of out road (100 meters away).  Engineers come and go and eventually in the beginning of december a number 4 appears on the cabinet but we still cannot order infinity 2.  A few days later a big fibre enable cumbria connecting sticker was slapped onto cabinet 4 and BT were accepting orders for infinity 2. All three of us ordered.  

Andrew's was enabled on Monday 12th December.  No speed increase, it was exactly the same.

Mark's was enabled on Tuesday 13th December. No speed increase, it was exactly the same.

Ian's (mine) was enabled on Wednesday 14th December. No speed increase, it was exactly the same.

We all contacted BT to find why we weren't getting 74 Mbps (estimated) or at least the 69 Mbps minimum we were promised.

When I phoned BT the helpful chap stated that it could take 10 days to stabilise the speed.  My reply was that it would at least show a leap in speed from being enabled. It would not just start at 14 and then slowly build up to 74 Mbps.  Maybe it would jump to 70 or 50 or maybe at least 20 Mbps to show sonething was happening. Anyway, an engineer was booked.

Andrew and myself got 2 separate engineers on Monday 19th December.  They were not bothered by and connections in our houses because they both said that cabinet 4 was not enabled and was still being fed by cabinet 3. And both engineers could nit enable cabinet 4 because that was not their job.

All through Xmas, We 3 wise kings of infinity 2 NOT have been calling BT to find out when Cabinet 4 will be enabled because we are paying for fibre but not getting it. But BT still keeps sending engineers out and they keep on finding out its not enabled and we keep on telling them why but nobody is listening and they keep saying its fibre enabled but its not.  

Anyway, i called BT and I was assigned a case handler who fux everything for me.  An engineer was called out for Wednesday 4th. I told my case handler that I wanted this sorted and that cabinet 4 was not fibre enabled etc, etc. He told me to not worry because thus engineer could fix whatever in the cabinet, up poles and in the house.   The engineer arrived, i told this story.  He wandered off to the cabinet. He came back. Guess what?  Yeah, thats right, cabinet 4 is not enabled. Can he fix it? No he can't. He is not allowed to enable it as thats ouside his purview and another ticket/job has to be raised. I told him that I knew all this 2 weeks ago but BT keeps sending engineers out when the problem is known. I just want to know when cabinet 4 will be enabled.

Anyway, I phoned BT again, they hung up, I phoned again but this chap was no help and passed me on to customers services.  They said they couldn't help but I said you sold me a product that is not enabled, i just want to when it will be.  I gave them the engineers UIN Number.  Anyway they contacted openreach, then a manager and then they passed me over to some openreach guy. I then re-explained the situation for the umpteenth time and then he said someone will be out to cabinet 4 within 24-48 hours.

..........what are the odds Cabinet 4 will be enabled this week?   

Customer service is poor due to lack of communication.  BT should have known cabinet 4 was not enabled when the first 2 engineers turned up on the 19th December.  They then could have just told me that the cabinet would be enabled on a certain date and that would be the end of it until that date had passed.  Instead they have  engineer after engineer stating that it should be enabled but it is not and not one of them raises a ticket to get it enabled.  It's a waste of human resources.

So if it hasn't finally sunk in..............BT! Cabinet 4 is not fibre enabled. You think it is. Your selling it. All your computers say it is. But it's NOT. Please send someone to turn it on.  Maybe its faulty anyway, but until you enable it, you will never know.  

Go on, enable it. i dare you.

Yours disgruntledly

Ian, Mark and Andrew

0 Ratings
113 REPLIES 113
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 114

Re: Cabinet is fibre enabled but it isn't, so why not enable it???

Go to solution

If you are already on faster broadband, which is fiber but the speeds are below 15Mbps, it means you are connected to a cabinet. Cabinet 3. What makes you think that you will be moved onto cabinet 4?

Openreach do not normally move people onto different cabinets.

See link

There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead.

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another.

https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 114

Go to solution
I suspect this is an all in one cabinet that has been installed to help those too far from the original cabinet to benefit from FTTC.

The migration of the cables to the all in one cabinets is complex and often there is confusion/differences between what the systems say and what is the actual status of the cables in the ground. This is usually sorted within a few weeks but if there's a problem activating the cabinet on the midst of the cables being swapped over then there can be a loss of service/degredation until everything is sorted out.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 114

Go to solution
Gg, cabinet migrations are becoming ever more popular with AIO's being installed.

That information on the OR website isn't really relevant any more because quite a lot of people are moved to new cabinets through BDUK funded AIO's.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 114

Go to solution

I may be wrong but I suspect that the OP has ordered Infinity 2 without doing a check on the checker and has assumed that he will have been moved to Cabinet 4.

Moley, can you run this checker and post the results. Delete your phone number but include the cabinet number

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 114

Go to solution

It smells like they were too far away previously so had total faster broadband due to distance.

Seems like they're in the progress of being moved to the new AIO cabinet but there's an issue with the migration.
0 Ratings
moley
Contributor
Message 7 of 114

Go to solution

I am on cabinet 4 because all of our cables go into cabinet 4 and BT says so.  Even the engineers say we should be getting 70+ Mbps. The engineer said cabinet 4 is not enabled and is still fed from cabinet 3. His system says we should be fibre enabled from cabinet 4.   It should copper from house to cabinet 4 then fibre NOT copper from house to cabinet 4 then copper to cabinet 3 then fibre.  Whats the point of putting in a cabinet (where none existed before, we just cable all the way to cabinet 3) just to splice into existing copper.

Cabinet 4 was put in to give a rural estate of 150 house access to fast fibre.  We already had upto 20 Mbps due fibre from cabinet 3. This was next logical step to increase speeds.

Please remember, everyone thinks it is enabled. 

The important thing is that Openreach engineers say it should be fibre enabled because their records say it is, but when they check the cabinet they find it us not enabled.  Everything seems to be in the cabinet (so they say) but it is not enabled. And the engineers are not allowed to mess with power side if the cabinet (his words).

Cabinet 4 might be faulty, who knows, i certainly don't.  But BT, Openreach, Connecting Cumbria and god knows who else thinks that this cabinet is live.  All I know is,  I am paying for infinity 2 because BT said that cabinet 4 is enabled and ready for me to get a minimum of 69 Mbps. 

Until BT and Openreach understand that there records are wrong and that cabinet 4 isn't enabled or a fault developed that caused it to stop being enabled then progress will not be made.

We need an engineer to come out and check why it is not enabled and then fix whatever it is and then enabled.  Sounds simple but isn't.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 114

Go to solution
Usually, once an all in one cabinet is live, the broadband connections are automatically migrated over, this can be weeks or months after the cabinet goes live though.

So there may well be a good reason as to why the migration hasn't happened yet but as you say, finding out that reason seems to be the difficult part.

The fact you mention the new cabinet has a power side confirms it's an all in one cabinet which houses both the copper and fibre cables.
0 Ratings
moley
Contributor
Message 9 of 114

Go to solution
In august or september BT engineers were connecting up cabinet 4. My internet went off so, i went down and talked to them. They were connecting everyone up to cabinet 4 and stated it was the first step to fibre from cabinet 4. But he hadn't a clue when it would get enabled.

Its not moving from a different cabinet. It a brand new cabinet where none existed before. Whether cabinet 4 is still fed fibre from cabinet 3 when enabled, i haven't a clue. Cabinet 3 is about 2m from the Local exchange. Maybe when cabinet 4 is enabled it goes straight to the exchange which is right next to cabinet 3. We should be on cabinet 4 then fibre to wherever........
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 114

Go to solution
Yeah, where the fibre terminates is irrelevant really. Just an FYI, it will be a seperate fibre feed to that of cabinet 3, back to the exchange or head end exchange.

Seems a moderator will need to get involved and speak to BT Wholesale and Openreach to find out what's going on and what's the reason for the services having not yet been moved over.

It has been known for new all in one cabints be live for a few months before the full network rearragement and the copper being hooked up to the new cabinet. It's possible for the copper to go through the cabinet but not yet be connected up to the "fibre side". Infact that's exactly what seems to be the issue here.