cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwcl2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Cabinet upgrade date?

Can anyone help estimate when my cabinet may be upgraded and Infinity enabled?

Echange is SMWE Wendover

Cabinet is BCC FP3

Thank you very much.

BCC FP3

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Nightster
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: Cabinet upgrade date?

It's never going to happen as this is NOT a BT cabinet. My best guess would be Bucks County Council Fire Point 3 i.e. a Fire Hydrant.

rwcl2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thank you. Will keep looking!
0 Ratings
rwcl2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Using the BT Wholesale checker link from another post reveals my phone line is on: Exchange WENDOVER and is served by Cabinet 5.

Any idea when or how I find out when this may be upgraded for a faster service? Infinity is enabled at this exchange.

Thank you

Ross

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

What does the DSL checker say? http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/

Try the Phone number checker and the Address checker and the Postcode checker.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

@rwcl2000 wrote:

Using the BT Wholesale checker link from another post reveals my phone line is on: Exchange WENDOVER and is served by Cabinet 5.

Any idea when or how I find out when this may be upgraded for a faster service? Infinity is enabled at this exchange.

Thank you

Ross

If the BT Wholesale checker does not give you a date, then there is no current plan to upgrade the cabinet you are connected to. This does not mean though it won't be in the future.

0 Ratings
rwcl2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

No date sadly, although the exchange is enabled. Thank you Ross

0 Ratings
rwcl2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Hello, checking my postcode today I notice a message from BT saying they are not upgrading my cabinet. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Thank you. Message below:

This marker shows cabinet: P5
Which is linked to exchange: WENDOVER
Please note: This is the intended area for the cabinet that will provide fibre broadband services to your postcode. We're sorry but the cost of providing power to this cabinet means that currently it is not commercially viable.

When we plan where to locate a cabinet it is done on the basis of underground utility records available to us at the time. Sometimes when we come to deploy power to the cabinet we realise it cannot be done in the way we originally planned, which has an impact on our costs. This is a very rare occurrence but we are sorry to say that the costs of providing electrical power to this cabinet have increased to a level which means it is not currently commercially viable. We will continue to seek an alternative solution and apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.
0 Ratings
TheTvMan
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I'd imagine it is fairly common. I may be completely wrong? but until now I think original telephone line/pole/cabinet infrastructure needed very little if any power at all to run. As Fibre does any area without nearby power or existing nearby power conduits\channels etc. Therefore it would cost far more than would ever be recovered to be worth while, after all BT is a business at the end of the day..... sadly.

0 Ratings