cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
filmtangent
Message 1 of 8

Cabinet upgrade?

Hi all, 

I have been banging my head against the wall trying to find any information about upgrading cabinets. The cabinets that are currenly placed in our housing development are only set up with Infinity 1. I was hoping to find out how to start the process of getting them upgraded to support Infinity 2. The cabinets are all FTTC and FTTPoD enabled. 

Is there any information as to what the process of the ugrade would be and how best to go about this. I've talked to BT consumer and have sent a message off to Openreach (though I'm not too hopeful on that front). 

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Cabinet upgrade?

Infinity 1 and Infinity 2 are exactly the same product, there is no upgrade. Infinity1 just has an artificial software speed cap. If you are too far from the cabinet, you will not be able to benefit from Infinity 2 speeds anyway. What does the checker say your line is capable of?

0 Ratings
filmtangent
Message 3 of 8

The cabinet can receive 51.4  down and 11.8 up clean.

If it is the same product with a software cap on it, does this occur downstream or upstream from the cabinet? I imagine that our cabinet receives what it receives, though I read elsewhere that the softcap was on the backhaul upstream of the cabinet, but I dont really know much about the infrastructure behind this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

The cabinet has the capability to provide 80/20 to every port in it. It's the distance that are you from that cabinet which determines the speed YOU can get, down to physics.

The fibre cable from the cab to the headend exchange is usually a 2.5Gb/s link.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 8

Also to add to 

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Or indeed 55/10 as it is now for BT Infinity 1.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@filmtangent wrote:

The cabinet can receive 51.4  down and 11.8 up clean.

That is the estimate for your line, not the cabinet. The cabinet is capable of delivering approx 100Mb/s to customers but is artificially capped at 80Mb/s for Infinity2 and 55Mb/s for Infinity 1. The laws of physics determine the actuakl speed up to those limits. VDSL speeds drop off very sharply with distance.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 8

@Webby

Oppps... indeed, Thanks 🙂

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings