cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Cabinets in Exchange?

Someone I know has moved to South Wales and he was told that his line was only capable of a slow broadband speed (about 1-2 Mbs.)

I have run the BT Wholesale BB checker which produced these results.

BBAC.jpg

He has been told that BT fibre broadband is not available a this address as this line was directly cabled from the exchange.

I find this confusing(perhaps an age thing) but the results of the checker shows that it is available on his line.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
albertj
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cabinets in Exchange?

If they try to place an order with BT or any other VDSL provider, it just says 1-2mb?

You could try tweeting Openreach https://twitter.com/OpenreachHelp and see if they can clear it up for you.
--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

The number you used on dslchecker the actual bt phone number of your friend?

there are no cabinets in the exchange but are normally erected just outside

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Yes the number I used was that of my friend, I suspect the line is too long and hence the losses to great to warrent an Infinity connection.

Is it possible to work out the distance and/or the speed of a DSL line.

If he was unable to upgrade to infinity, is it possible that by changing the homehub to say a Billion router that the speed could be increased, maybe by tweeking the SNR. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

you can see from dslchecker results that the phone number of your friend returned an estimated speed range of 80/72mb down and 20/19mb up speed  it also shows your friend is on cab 1 and not EO.  should be able to order fibre from these results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.