cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 35

Cabinets that don't have fibre - where does it come from?

Am I correct in thinking that I have to wait for Openreach to connect my cabinet (I know the exchange & cabinet no.) to fibre before I can get the hybrid "Fibre-to-the-Cabinet"? Is the fibre coming from the exchange or is there a separate fibre system that bypasses the exchange. I'm puzzled that many cabinets locally seem to have a fibre connection but mine doesn't. I guess that's 2 questions really. Any clarification greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35

Re: Cabinets that don't have fibre - where does it come from?

if BT customer enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number but leave exchange and cab number.  if not BT use address

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 35

@halfhearted wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that I have to wait for Openreach to connect my cabinet (I know the exchange & cabinet no.) to fibre before I can get the hybrid "Fibre-to-the-Cabinet"?

Correct

Is the fibre coming from the exchange or is there a separate fibre system that bypasses the exchange. I'm puzzled that many cabinets locally seem to have a fibre connection but mine doesn't. I guess that's 2 questions really. Any clarification greatly appreciated.

The fibre may or may not come from your local exchange, it might come from a different exchange depending on the network topology in your area.

It may simply be that your cabinet hasn't been enabled because it isn't economically viable to do so.

Message 4 of 35

in most cases the fibre does not come from your local exchange ,it comes from a main hub (large exchange ) with fttc  your dial tone comes from your local exchange to the cab then the tone and fibre are joined and then that goes to the property . in most cases the fibre cab is near the old cab i.e other side of the road /round corner  

Message 5 of 35

Exchange & cabinet no. given here -

Exchange&Cabinet.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 35

confirms there is no fibre connection available to you and no date for any upgrade

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 35

Thanks. Is there a way of telling if the Mile End exchange would supply the fibre connection or if it would come from a larger exchange elsewhere?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 35

your more likely to get FTTP then cabinet upgraded

Message 9 of 35

@halfhearted wrote:

Thanks. Is there a way of telling if the Mile End exchange would supply the fibre connection or if it would come from a larger exchange elsewhere?

How would knowing that be of any help?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 35

People on the same cabinet have mentioned advertising from other commercial services who seem to be saying they can perform an upgrade, to the cabinet I assume, that would allow us to receive either FTTC or FTTP. I am guessing that the cost of such an upgrade would depend on the distance from the exchange that was supplying the fibre. Mile End is the closest exchange, about 1.8km, so it would be the cheapest. Possibly.

0 Ratings