cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 35

Re: Cabinets that don't have fibre - where does it come from?

There are company’s that install their own cabinet and just use the OR D side cables, this OLO cab is connected to the OR copper cab with copper pair ties ( same as OR FTTC ) that’s how the sub loop unbundler accesses the D side cables.....( Warwicknet, so some similar named company ) provide exactly this , and as they effectively got in first , to comply with the access network frequency plan, OR cannot simply provide a similar system , the sub loop unbundling cab is sited very close to the copper cab, much like the OR cab would be.
Message 22 of 35

@iniltous  Openreach can supply their own Fibre cab along with any other provider as sub loop unbundling. SLU can use shared metallic path (SLU SMPF).

"To avoid interference between you and another communications provider accessing the same SLCP, all Sub Loop Tie Cables must comply with strict specifications. For Very high speed Digital Subscriber Lines (VDSLs), tie cable lengths must not exceed 100m. And the maximum differential length between all communications providers at a given SLCP must not exceed 50m."

Message 23 of 35

@iniltouswrote:
There are company’s that install their own cabinet and just use the OR D side cables...

OK, I think I'm getting the hang of this. Neighbours were talking about using Hyperoptic but if I enter our postcode in their web site it says the service isn't available here yet, although it doesn't explain exactly why. When I had a fault a couple of years back the engineer said he thought our cabinet hadn't been upgraded to make FTTC available because there were a low number of users connected. I guess Hyperoptic and other companies would provide FTTP by literally laying fibre all the way to the exchange, I can't see how else it could be done. This sounds expensive.

Is there a way we could tell if a company like Warwicknet has installed a cabinet near our cabinet? Do they have a distinctive appearance/company name/etc? If so, we could approach them to purchase FTTC.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 35

Go have a look at the cabinet. If anyone has provided FTTC there will be a fibre cab close by.

Message 25 of 35

Thanks for everybody's help with this. I think I've got a better understanding now.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 35

Your cabinet 61 is the only one in your area that is not fibre enabled

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 27 of 35

@imjollywrote:

Yes, I know. Good job I'm not paranoid. I'm not there at the moment so I can't go and look at the cabinet. It's possible I suppose that Openreach won't give us FTTC because some sub-loop unbundling has taken place and a competitor has placed its own cabinet near by. Or maybe there are so few people on that cabinet that BT won't upgrade it. Having said that it is a densely populated inner city area.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 35

I think it highly unlikely that it is anything to do with a competitor more likely decided with the number on cabinet and the cost of laying the fibre cable outways the return on the investment bearing in mind they are in it for the profit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 29 of 35

@imjollywrote:

According to this web page which looks accurate there are 3 cabinets without fibre connected to the local Mile End exchange - 19,51 and 61. I also see that there are 10 "exchanges" at the bottom of the list which do not have access to fibre. Why are these "exchanges" listed separately from the cabinets? The area already has an exchange, Mile End, so what are these additions?

I am starting to wonder if these cabinets were not upgraded in error. Is there someone I could contact to look into this issue with old cabinets? This has been driving us mad for years. Any help appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 35

You would be better to ask Openreach all your questions.

You can use this form.

Fibre Broadband Availability - Customer (openreach.co.uk)