cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulwright1974
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Cable length

Recently moved to a new rural property and the speed of the fibre is a pretty poor 8meg I know length of line plays a key part in the speed you get so imagine how surprised I was when I saw this at the bottom of the pole that my line is connected to... to me this looks like the feed to my pole so I’m thinking this coil of wire which must be at least 20 metres mus5 be affect8ng my speed? Or am I wrong?86F56D7B-4EE6-4E69-8534-D57E12162F71.jpeg

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cable length

Enter your phone number and post results remember delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

can you post stats from your router. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information. If hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

If that is Telecoms Cabling it’ll be Armoured Cable that can be buried Direct in Ground.

It doesn’t look very weathered so I’m guessing it’s not there very long and someone had agreed to dig it in, i.e. the Landowner or an Openreach Soft Dig trained Engineer.

Chances are it’s a cable that’s there to supply service for someone from the Distribution Point that will be on the top of the Pole. Is there any other cables going up the Pole that go into a black box?

And to answer your query, I would bet an entire months salary that an extra 20m will have zero affect on your Sync Rate.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

You would lose your salary if it is VDSL, it would be a fairly negligible effect, but it would have an effect.

0 Ratings
paulwright1974
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

No other cables going up the pole here is the box it goes into at the top of the pole AC9894CA-E890-42B1-B9CD-7526ADA0DED5.jpeg

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

20m of good quality 0.5 Gauge Cable or above would have no loss.

I know, I work with long VDSL Lines out in rural Cambridgeshire all day everyday and have done so since Openreach started started using the technology.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@Starwire wrote:
20m of good quality 0.5 Gauge Cable or above would have no loss.

I know, I work with long VDSL Lines out in rural Cambridgeshire all day everyday and have done so since Openreach started started using the technology.

I think Openreach must be missing a trick here in that case. If this magic cable has NO LOSS over 20 metres then by definition it will have NO LOSS over an infinite distance. You would think they would be using it everywhere to give everybody full speed. Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings