cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Cabling for Full Fibre Installation

Go to solution

I have just placed an order for Full Fibre 900 and I am concerned to ensure that the ONT & Hub end up in a place that is practical for me.  I have been told that it is a two-stage process, and that I do not need to be at home for the first engineer visit (estimated for next Tuesday, 14th) when I understand that the engineer will run a cable from the (underground) cabling in the street to my house wall and install a box (which I believe is called a customer splice point?).

My concern is that if I am not at home he/she may install the CSP where the current telephone wire enters the property, which is not near a mains socket and from where it would be impossible for the second engineer to run internal cabling to a suitable position for the ONT without drilling through walls.  I have equipment that must have an ethernet connection to the Hub so it is essential the ONT is somewhere suitable.

If I cannot catch the engineer and influence the location of the CSP, can the extension cable from the CSP to the ONT be run externally?  This would be a relatively short run of a few metres, though it would involve a couple of 90-degree bends.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Cabling for Full Fibre Installation

Go to solution

@Starwireis the man to answer this for you. Hopefully he will drop in later.

Message 3 of 21

Go to solution
Thanks, pippincp.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

The CSP goes by the Cable Entry Point as standard. The EZ Bend Cable that connects to that to the ONT Location comes in pre made lengths of 5, 10, 20, 30 and 50m so unless you live in a Castle I can’t see it being a problem.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Can the EZ Bend Cable be run externally to where I would want the ONT?  This would be a simple run, whereas running it internally would be extremely problematic as there are many obstacles in the way. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Yes, it can be run externally and internally.

Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Can u tell me more about this bt just sent me a video about this and bit up in air how this work for me. Our master socket is in living room which is at back of house master socket cabling ran outside before conservatory build so wiring is hiding then runs outside along side of house to the front where it meets high rise wiring. So how would drilling work ? I thought just done summit with master socket. Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Doesn't matter where your master socket is as FTTP doesn't make use of it.

Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Eh ? So I don’t need a master socket confused now 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Your master socket will be used for telephone only unless you are in an area being upgraded to Digital Voice then it will become redundant.

The fibre cable will be run directly to an ONT which the hub will connect to. Decide and discuss with the install engineer where you want the ONT to be sited (pic below)

fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg