Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
couzensmark
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Can BT ever help? Technical support is very poor! DLM issue

Go to solution

Hi 

I am at the end of my tether. I have been a BT infinity customer for probably 9 months now and I live in a fairly rural area. I opted for Infinity as they said it could give me speeds up to the dizzy heights of 9Mbps (with a caveat that the minimum could be as low as 5) instead of the 3 Mbps I was getting with standard ADSL2. This was all going great for the first 6 months. My downstream connection fluctuated between 7.8 - 9.5 with the very occasional dropout.  This was sufficient for our needs at present. Then one day my downstream connection dropped to 6. Fair enough i though not to worry we had had some power cuts so i thought the DLM is just playing it safe. After a connection uptime of over 40 days with no drop outs the downstream sync speed was still 6??? This has now been stuck at 6 for the last 3 months.  So I rang up to ask for the DLN to be reset and they said well 6 mbps is above the minimum we promised so we are unable / willing to do anything. Fair enough i said but i would much prefer to have a slightly less stable line and have higher speeds please reset the DLM. They then passed me over to the "Technical" dept in a call centre somewhere else reading flow charts of screens teling me to turn off all wifi devices in the house etc etc. I told them i have no issue with my Wifi connection speed the issue is with the DOWNSTREAM SYNC! please reset the DLM. Then I have spent the last couple of days being passed between the call centre in doncaster and the call centre in India stuck in the same loop of try this and try that. The last time the woman said but if you reset your hub sir the downstream sync will now be full speed. Great i thought they have finally done it.................... No no change they just wanted me off the phone. And so the cycle continues.

The Crux of it is that they just dont have a way of contacting the right technical people. I even called Openreach they said they could only do it if BT raised a ticket . Great i thought back on to BT to get them to raise a ticket..... Nope back in the loop of speed tests and checking my WiFi signal arhhhhhh. 

So my question to the forum is this. Is it possible to actually get any help with this or am i stuck in this purgatory until the end of my contract (12 months or until i buy out) when I will leave BT and go fixed line free for the rest of forever?

Thanks in advance 

Mark 

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Can BT ever help? Technical support is very poor! DLM issue

Go to solution

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Can you please provide connection information.

Router Stats
The information contained within your router management pages can really help others diagnose technical issues. To post these stats, open up a web browser and type 192.168.1.254 or BThomehub.home. Navigate to the 'Troubleshooting' Tab and then click on 'Helpdesk', you will then need to enter the admin password which can be found on the sticker on the back of BT Home Hub 4 and 5. BT Home hub 3 will have the sticker on the underside of the router.

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

0 Ratings
couzensmark
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

Thanks For the quick reply Keith.

I am at work today so wont get chance to post until later.  I fear these are the checks that they have already performed though. However I am willing to try anything.

Mark

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

Thats not a problem.

The availability check does not depend on where you post it from, as it just provides a range of expected speeds for your phone number.

For Infinity (VDSL), the top line (Range A) should tell you the minimum and maximum connection speed that you should be seeing when you look at the information on the home hub.

This all depends on how far you are away from the cabinet.

Post the info when you get chance, there are plenty of people on this forum who can help.

0 Ratings
couzensmark
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution
Hi Keith

Great thanks. We are a long way from the cab. I was just at a bit of a loss as to why I could get 9 ish and it changed every so often. Now it is rock solid at 6. Something and it's never changed a single digit for 3 months.

Mark
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

@couzensmark wrote:
Hi Keith

Great thanks. We are a long way from the cab. I was just at a bit of a loss as to why I could get 9 ish and it changed every so often. Now it is rock solid at 6. Something and it's never changed a single digit for 3 months.

Mark

There are lots of factors that could cause a drop.

Noisy line, poor cable pair balance or a cable fault.

Crosstalk from adjacent cable pairs, where other people have ADSL or VDSL.

Interference from something new within the house, or an issue with your internal wiring.

Its just a process of elimination.

0 Ratings
couzensmark
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Fair Point thanks for taking the time to explain. I will perform the checks later. Why could the people on the other end of the phone not be so helpful.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

@couzensmark wrote:

. Why could the people on the other end of the phone not be so helpful.

They do not have the technical knowledge, and just follow a standard script. Many people on this forum have years of practical experience in dealing with these issues, so should be able to identify any potential problems.

If more help is then needed, the moderators can be asked to assist, as they have access to the BT monitoring and performance tools. It needs to be dealt with by forum members first, as the moderators are only a very small team based in the UK.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

DLM cannot be reset as a result of a phonecall to customers services. A DLM reset without investigating and fixing the underlying problem would just result in a continuous cycle of resets.

couzensmark
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution
That's Fair enough. I just wanted to talk to someone who can genuinely help. On the phone they just talk to you like a **bleep**. I'm willing to get to the bottom of it any way that's possible. I just can't believe how bad their customer service is over the phone .
0 Ratings