cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Can BT get any worse? Is it humanly possible?

After 30 years with Sky or Virgin, i made the huge mistake of joining BT in January 2020. Oh dear, as Cher once said "if i could turn back time!"

Three 4k TV boxes after failures within the first 5 weeks, no 4k sport channel for the whole of January even though i was on the 4k sport package. Constant recording failures and programme clashes even though i only record one channel at any one time which makes absolutely no sense.

And now in my 10th week with BT, it's the broadband's turn to be a complete shambles. Paying for up to 73mb speed yet constantly getting lost connection while connected to an ethernet cable, buffering on Youtube videos and now tonight the Ferrari speed of 3.3mb download and 4.7 upload so can't watch any streaming videos on my laptop without constant stop start buffer start stop etc etc.

I went into my account, did the BT Speed test which came back as 'very good 57.1mb' yet i went to 5 different speed test websites and none of them showed above 4mb. Someone is telling porkies me thinks and my bet is on BT as 5 websites can't all be wrong at the same time.

At least i haven't got a home phone so that can't go wrong otherwise it would be a full house of all 3 services being absolutely bullocks. 

I've had more problems with BT in 10 weeks than i had with Sky and Virgin combined in 30 years. An absolute joke of a company and as they say in Eurovision, Nul Points! Grrrrr!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can BT get any worse? Is it humanly possible?

Great pity you don't have a home phone as that would enable you to do the most basic test of checking you have a dial tone and if so is there any noise on your phone line.  Noise on the line is the most common cause of broadband problems

can you post hub stats. Advanced settings then technical log information 

enter phone number and post results remember delete number.   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

This will show expected connection speed range

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

@BJames99 

This sounds like a noisy phone line which you would not have discovered if you do not have a phone plugged in. A noisy line will cause lots of disconnections and loss of TV and streaming media.

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £10) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the answers guys!

I've found a wired phone in the cupboard, plugged it in, got a dialling tone, rang the number and got absolute silence on the line so i'm assuming that's a good sign.

Did another BT speed test in my account, got the same 'Very Good speed 57.1mb' then went to 5 speed test websites and again, not one of them above 4mb download. The upload speed has shot up to 18mb which is around what i usually get but still below 4mb download.

Here are the hub stats:

Annotation 2020-03-28 215026.jpg

Any ideas?

Cheers

Brian

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

@BJames99 

You were getting 73.96Mbs on 12/02/20

Please can you post the results from this test.

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Hub stats would be helpful

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Right, now i'm getting somewhere!

I've done a complete reset of everything, router, laptop, phone line and Powerline and i've found the issue.

I have my laptop connected to an ethernet cable and Powerline at the other end of the room away from the router and have never had an issue with fast broadband for years until tonight.

So i connected the ethernet directly to the router and the speed went up to around 50mb so i plugged it back into the Powerline and it dropped back to 3.7mb. Aha, problem solved, me thinks!

Problem with the Powerline, so i switched everything off and reset my whole set up including Powerline, plugged the ethernet back in and connected to my laptop and voila, Powerline speed back up to 57mb.

I have no explanation or rhyme or reason as to what happened as that's never happened before to go from 57mb to 3.3mb for hours on end but after my complete reset, i'm back up to speed so let's hope it lasts.

So come on BT, don't let me down again as i've had 10 weeks of stress since i joined this company and i'm not in the mood for any more. 🙂

Thanks guys for your help! Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

If you had mentioned the powerline adapters at outset then what you have done would have been suggested art outset as there are other posts wnhere the problem was powerline adapters and often tplink 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

@BJames99 

Interference to copper delivered broadband (FTTC)  and ADSL, caused by Powerline Adapters. Not FTTP.

Powerline adapters or broadband extenders work by transmitting radio frequency signals down your mains wiring.

These frequencies start at about 2MHz and extend right up to 30MHz and beyond.

VDSL  also shares part of that frequency range. That means that if any of the signals from the powerline adapters, get into the phone wiring, or the BT Home hub, then they are going to reduce the quality and speed of your broadband connection, as they will interfere with the frequencies used by VDSL. You may see that as a drop in the upstream or downstream noise margin, or a drop in the maximum available speed. This can even affect ADSL under certain conditions, where other mains devices generate lower frequencies, when exposed to the higher frequencies. (Demodulation taking place).

It may even cause your home hub to disconnect, and then attempt to reconnect again. You will see this change on the lights of the home hub, and other devices will also disconnect.

This problem may get worse as the powerline adapters carry more data.

Its important to make sure that none of your phone wiring, including any extension wiring, runs near to your powerline adapters or main wiring.
If possible, plug the home hub into a different socket from the powerline adapter.

They may also have an affect on the download speed of an ADSL2+ connection.

TP Link ones seem to be a major source of problems. See the following threads on the forum.

My Powerline adapters slow down when downstream sync is high!

BT Infinity VDSL worse performance than ADSL

However there is a fix for the TP Link ones which was posted by davejanney, one of our forum members. Thank you.
You need to download this utility TP Link utility

Once you have it open go to the ADVANCED settings for the adaptor that is connected to the router. on the left hand side of the menu is MODE.
Within the mode settings there is an option to LOWER PLC-TO-VDSL INTERFERANCE MODE.

Now it warned me i would see a drop in speed however the change was instant! the speed on Speedtest.net doubled when running through the adaptors, and it is rock solid stable. i downloaded a 1Gb file with any connection drops, before it would have dropped out every 30sec.

See this post on the Plusnet forum Powerline Ethernet - A warning

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Cheers Keith for all that info on Powerlines.

I didn't mention i had my laptop connected to a Powerline because i've always got the exact same speed from the Powerline as direct from the router with an ethernet cable so didn't think it was relevant to mention but thanks for that info and if it happens again in the future, i'll have a better idea as to what to do.

Cheers
0 Ratings