cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
xvt
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Can FTTC cabinet also have non-FTTC lines?

Go to solution

We're looking to move house, and are checking connectivity options at potential houses.

One house we like comes up as not being able to order fibre, but the cabinet it is connected to is FTTC enabled. In the same post code, changing the address to any of the neighbouring houses comes back with a response that fibre is available (and the same cabinet number, Marlow exchange, cabinet 15).

So, how can a house connected to an FTTC cabinet not yet be able to order? It's not capacity - I've seen that different response on other properties, it just says not available. The neighbouring houses that do have FTTC capability are litterally either side of the house in question. Confused!

The checkers I am looking are the btwholesale one and the address option on the BT inifinity sales page. Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can FTTC cabinet also have non-FTTC lines?

Go to solution
You need an active phone line before the checker will show if fibre is available
xvt
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Ah, ok many thanks for the info.

So the neighbours being occupied, show as fibre available. But the house in question probably has the phone service cancelled as it's not currently occupied, show therefore shows as fibre not available for order?

Are there any other checks we can do to assure ourselves that if we move there, re-activate the phone line, that it will be able to have fibre? The address checker showing it is connected to this cabinet 15, that is FTTC enabled, and not over capacity, is encouraging, is that all there is to it?

Thanks again for the info

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Have you used the Openreach checker?

Until a line is activated, there's no way to guarantee which cabinet it will be connected to.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
xvt
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

It was the varients of the BT Wholesale checker here that I used: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

I guess that's Openreach? And the address checker there reports it is connected to Marlow cabinet 15, but the previous occupants have left so the phone may not be currently active.

When you reactive the phone line, it's not likely to be reconnected to a different cabinet is it? I realise it's not 100% guaranteed in terms of cabinets, but it's a reasonably small village and all the houses I've checked within a mile or so either side are all connected to cabinet 15, which shows as FTTC enabled.

So aside from capacity issues which it doesn't say that cabinet suffers from, as long as it is connected to 15, it should be able to get FTTC like the neighbours? Would the phone number used by the previous occupants help narrow it down, even though it sounds like the line is currently inactive?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
xvt
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the follow up, that tool gives a slightly different response, but no less confusing 🙂

"Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.
This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options."

Confusing because all the surrounding houses, as in literally metres away, that report as being connected to the same cabinet, show as having fibre. Maybe it's the lack of an active line that gives a misleading response, or an error in the database, or a wierd routing of cables for that one house that makes it different to the others in the village, who knows!?

Tempted to give up and keep looking at other houses! Thanks for all the suggestions, hope the thread helps someone else in the future.

I think, reading between the lines, that the answer to the title is no: an FTTC cabinet should be able to supply FTTC connections to those houses connected to it (any capacity issues asise), they don't have some non-FTTC 'ports' that some houses are stuck on...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
I would bet that once the line is activated, there will be no problems getting FTTC.

The issue is that currently, there's no active line, so the Openreach database won't have accurate information as to what DP the line will be served from, and as such, does not know the distance from the cab to the DP in order to give a speed estimate.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
there is no such thing as non fibre ports on a cabinet a fibre cabinet can only provide a fibre connection if you are close to the cabinet the checkers can only give information as to the services available once a phone line is activated
xvt
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions folks, much appreciated.

0 Ratings