cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Can I be compensated for wasted time?

I woke up monday morning to find that my broadband was no longer working. I did the usual things such as reset the hub but nothing worked. I called bt who insisted that I reset the hub again but it did nothing, so they sent out an Openreach engineer.

He arrived the same day and connected up some equipment to my landline to do some checks. He then left telling me that he had to do some further checks up the road at the connection box and he'd be back in half an hour. I waited for two hours before calling him only to find that he'd completely left the job. He said he tried calling me to let me know that he was leaving but his phone wasn't working, which seemed odd as I was able to call him on his phone just fine. He told me he'd be back the next day to continue his fault finding.

He turned up the next day almost two hours late and proceeded to attach an old hub he had in his van to my landline in order to rule out whether or not the problem was my hub. His hub didn't work either.

At that point he again said that he needed to go back to the green connection box up the street to do more 'tests'. Again telling me that he'd either call or come back within the hour.

I then get a phone call on my mobile from a family member who says that when she rings my home number someone else is picking up. So now I have no broadband and a crossed line on my home phone.

I figured this might be due to something the Openreach guy was doing so I gave him the benefit of the doubt so I waited another two hours before calling to get an update on what he was doing, only to find that for the second day in a row he'd left the job without telling me.

Two days in a row I'd been left sitting at home twiddling my thumbs thinking that he was at least trying to fix the problem when in fact he'd gone.

This time he gave no excuses such as his phone not working. He simply said that he'd done his bit and that he'd not actually been sent to fix my broadband in the first place. And that if it still wasn't working I should call my ISP to have an engineer sent out to take a look. 

I tried to enquire how it could be possible that I report a broadband fault that he is sent out to and somehow he is told to fix something else. Now not only leaving me with the same broadband fault but a crossed landline too.

But the conversation was going nowhere. Even though I am a BT customer he started telling me that I should contact Vodafone if my broadband still wasn't working. He said Vodafone because he appeared to believe that Vodafone were my ISP. At that point I ended the conversation and called BT for an explanation. They are sending out an engineer tomorrow to hopefully put things right. If it's the same engineer as before I will not be giving him access to my property.

My question is can I claim compensation for the two lost days ?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Can I be compensated for wasted time?

Are you sure it was an Openreach engineer and not a Qube one? Openreach currently have a 3 day lead time for Broadband engineers so I cannot see how you managed to get one on the same day.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

To be honest I'm not sure. I just assumed he was Openreach. Either way he was the person BT sent to me when I reported that my broadband wasn't working.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 20

What kind of broadband do you have, ADSL or VDSL (VDSL is FTTC)?

it would be an Openreach Engineer because Qube can’t access the Network, they’re only allowed to work from the NTE Faceplate forward.

All new starters are trained in VDSL as standard now, it’s not something they up skill to at a later date so it is possible for one to come out the same day as the fault is reported. 

Sounds to me like the Engineer didn’t have a clue what he was doing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

I have BT infinity so I think that's fibre.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

It does not matter whether it was an Openreach engineer or another engineer. 

Your contract is with BT and it is up to BT to resolve your problems and it is irrelevant to you who they actually have to use to resolve the issue.

It is BT who will pay compensation if it is due.

See link regarding compensation.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64051/~/automatic-compensation

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 20

Thanks, that's very helpful.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

Does anyone know the most effective way of making a complaint please?I tried over the phone but it doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere. Is there a complaints email address I can write to?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

If you did an Internet search you would have found the answer

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/home/complaints.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

Yeah I did a Google search and found that page but they're telling me to phone in the first instance. If you further explore that page they eventually give you the option to email. However I wanted to know the most effective way of complaining. I figured perhaps email, but I thought maybe others had a better idea as opposed to just phoning them. I was wondering if anyone had any success using social media to see if there was a specific online contact form or email address that resulted in a more favourable outcome. 

0 Ratings