cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Can I connect to a much more local exchange?

Go to solution

I live in Finningham, and our local cabinet (about 200 metres away) is enabled for super fast broadband. The underground cables for this exchange go past our house. However, our phone line is connected to the Bacton exchange, which is over 1,000 metres away, so our fibre broadband is pitifully slow.

I have no idea why we are connected in this way - surely we should have been connected to the local exchange when it was first installed?

How do we go about getting the connection changed?

Mike

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Can I connect to a much more local exchange?

Go to solution

You can't, you will be connected to however the network distribution cables were provided.

Enter your phone number in the DSL checker https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post the results after deleting your phone number but not the exchange and cabinet number in the screenshot.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

if you are on FTTC then distance to exchange is immaterial as it is distance to the street cabinet that counts as far as connection speed goes

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Licquorice

Our phone number generates this data;

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number *********** on Exchange BACTON is served by Cabinet 1

Table itself:

Exchange Details.png

Bacton Cabinet 1 is 2.9km away from us by road and we actually get around 5Mb/s download at best. Can drop to 1Mb/s at peak times.

The cabinet within 200m of our home is Bacton Cabinet 13, which incidentally is en route between us and Cabinet 1. The cables connecting us to cabinet 1 go past cabinet 13 in the same conduit as the cabinet 13 cables.

This is the data generated by someone connected to cabinet 13;

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number *********** on Exchange BACTON is served by Cabinet 13

Screenshot_2.png

Hope this clarifies things a bit!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

According to the checker result you can get FTTP. Its a no brainer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

cab is immaterial for FTTP  phone 08005874787 and see about FTTP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Cab1 and cab13 figures are identical anyway. As others have said, why have FTTC when you can have FTTP..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

The figures are the same, but the attenuation is not! Cab 1 is 2900m away from our home and Cab 13 is 200m.

Why have FTTC when you can have FTTP? That would be a good question if you have so much money you can afford to pay open-reach to lay 2900m of fibre optic cable and not notice the cost. 200m wouldn't be too bad, but they won't consider that, as we are connected to Cab 1, so that's what they quote for. We're back to my original question; Can I connect to a much more local exchange?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

According to the checker WBC FTTP is available to you which will be exactly the same price as FTTC.

FTTP doesn't connect to the cabinet in any case.

There is something strange with the 2 screenshots you posted, they are identical in all respects which is extremely unlikely.

The answer is still no, you can't be moved to another exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

why don't you phone the number I posted for FTTP and see what you are offered

you are not going to move exchange or more important for fibre your cabinet.  FTTP does not come from cabinet so distance is immaterial

0 Ratings